Coming to "the Dark Side"!!

I am COMPLETELY ecstatic! Yesterday I got a sparkly pool! I started my FC hold test last night. We lost 5ppm overnight but the best thing is my CC is sitting at either 0 or .5 and has been for DAYS!!! I am super upset though because I have no camera to take pics at the moment. :( My battery died and my charger is NOT working. BOOO! But, I WILL get a finished pic up here as soon as my charger gets here and I get a charged battery! We should be able to swim by Saturday like I wanted! My husband wanted to jump in last night but I told him it would probably dry his skin out real quick if he jumped into a pool full of bleach since I had just added my bleach for the overnight test! He was so tempted because the water was soooooo beautiful!

Thank you for helping me through this! I never though we would get to this point. I admit that I wanted to drain once the pool store said mold, but I held strong. I even looked at the sand and water in my filter and it looks good. We just replaced it in May and had only been using the baquacrap for a month before the mold and before deciding to convert. It will have only taken us about 10ish days to complete our conversion and I see that that is about average for the amount of baquacrap that we had to begin with. I think we have used 12 1.42gal jugs but I have 3 3qt jugs in my van and 1 1.42gal jug left that will get me through the weekend. I am totally excited to add salt probably tomorrow then we will be ordering our SWG next week! On our way to a TFP!!!!!!

Even though you just changed you sand in May, you really need to replace it again after your conversion is complete. If you don't you will be defeating your purpose.

The sand you have is FULL of Baquagoo, even though eveything looks clear. There is no way to get it all out of your sand media. When I emptied my sand out, it was full of big, icky green chunks of baquacil stuff. Rather nasty.

It is best to go ahead and change it again so that you will be able to correctly balance and maintain your new Sparkily pool. If you don't you will be fighting to maintain your chlorine levels and we wouldn't want that :wink: Luckily sand is an inexpensive cost and you shouldn't have to do it again for a long time :)

Hopefully I can talk the husband into changing it for me since I cannot lift it to move it out to the street!

Problem...I swept the bottom but now the water has a little bit of cloudiness/haziness. Is that to be expected? Maybe the silt from the filter just got stirred up? There was a lot of sand in the vacuum.

I held FC last night and my CC is still sitting at .5! I am going to HD to get new sand and salt today. Hopefully I hook the hoses back up right this time!! (One time I didn't and it was a MESS in the pool!! HA!) I am hoping tomorrow to be done with this conversion. I am tired and everyone is sick of staring at a clean pool without being able to swim in it.

So, here is what has transpired over the past few days...

Wed: FC held all day at 13.5. I added proper amount of bleach to bring it to 15 before bed. Lost 10ppm overnight but my CC was at .5
Thurs: FC was 10 first thing in the am, added bleach to bring it to 15 only dropped to 13 in 10hrs. I added proper amount of bleach to bring it to 15 before bed. Lost 1ppm overnight and CC was still .5
Friday: FC is at 14 right now. I will test at noon and again before bed, add bleach and test tom AM.

pH has been sticking to 7.3 and not moving. T/A has been slowly lowering. It was like 210 earlier in the week and is now 140. I have added CYA to a sock in the skimmer to bring my non-existant CYA to 40. Water is clear and sparkling. We will change sand today and add salt to the water and hope everything comes out PERFECTO!

I answered my own question by checking the sock. Most of the CYA granuals are G-O-N-E! LOL! That's ok.

Question...I have a RoboKleen auto pool cleaner. I can't bleach the bag that holds the bottom stuff, but can I bleach, or soak in bleach, the rest of it? I don't really think I should. I have sprayed it off really good and let it sit out in the sun for DAYS. I don't want to introduce any crud back into my pool on accident.

I am D-O-N-E!

CC 0 (At 0-.5 for almost a week now!)
FC HELD TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW!!!
My CYA was 20 before adding any and tested at 50 today...I know about false readings and all but I think we are lookin' up!
New sand was installed yesterday!
We are still so very sparkley!
Yesterday I had to get in to get the return coupling fixed and the water was so cold! But it wasn't nasty feeling and I just LOVE that thought! To be able to get in the water and not feel nasty!!! It had a strong chlorine smell, but that was early in the AM.

Gonna let the kids swim today and tell them not to open their eyes while the FC goes down today. I tested at 8a and it was 15 so hopefully when they are ready to swim it will be down to a fairly swimmable level. I am hoping my charger for the camera comes today so I can get a completed picture for you all! I am sooo proud and happy and thankful I found this site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you get your sparkly pool pics done, you can change out that cloudy avatar pic! :mrgreen:

Congrats! Now you can go swimming!

After all of my hard work, I awoke this morning to a water mess under the deck! Come to find out we have a tear in our liner on the bottom of the pool. I went out and bought a repair kit first thing this morning. I am so sad, but I think it will be ok once we refill the 1,500 gallons of water we lost overnight! I will post more later. I am tired of this pool and just tired!

Re: Coming to "the Dark Side"!! FINAL Pic

Here it is! All my hard work paid off and we got THIS! Now we did have a small tear that drained about 1300gal of water but that didn't put a dent in my progress unlike if we would have had the baquagoop. I am PROUD to say I am a BBB conversion complete!!!

My bot is in the water cleaning and you can SEE it!!...

DSC02260-1.jpg

Here is the small tear...to the left of the leaf...I zoomed in with my camera

DSC02261.jpg

And next to the ladder

DSC02206.jpg

One more sun shot

DSC02259.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.