Dirty water returning to my pool

Jul 2, 2009
Hey,

I have dirty water returning to my pool when I vacuum. Ive been trying to open my pool now for two weeks from green algae infested swamp scum water. I hope I painted a murky green picture for you now. Whenever I vacuum I get dirty water coming from the filter. I have a Pentair clean & clear plus ccp320 (4 cartridges). I have pressure cleaned the filters twice now. The filters are now just two years old. The inside of the filters are pure white which leads me to believe they are working and not defective or worn out. This filter has a plastic plate at the bottom that spreads the water from a single source to four outlets one for each filter media also a top plug like bracket to keep the water from coming out the top and keep them straight verticle. In the center is a .5" pvc pipe running up the center with a small porus cup designed to allow air to pass out of the top of media area and out of the filter hopper. After talking to Pentair they suggest the media is ok too young to be leaking, but I might have a hole or crack in either top or bottom brackets. I have examined both and see no signs even small cracks. They do require a somewhat hard push down to seat properly on both ends but I push from the center so I dont think I over torqued the plastic and broke it. My pressure is low about 15p and has increased to 20p im sure its time to clean them again they do show alot of algae on them. My clorine level is shock high a very visable yellow on my tester. My PH is in the low but acceptible 7 it was high till I used the dry acid. Is my dirty conditions too much for the filter and its just over flowing dirt back into the pool or is it broken? and bypassing some of the filter media?

It's hard to say whether or not your filter is compromised somewhere and allowing dirty water to go to places where it shouldn't. But it does sound like you aren't finished shocking and algae can hide out in places within the pump and pipe system.

I would like to see a full set of test results to see where you are chemistry wise. A CYA level is particularly important here in order to know how much FC you need to truly shock. What kind of test kit do you have?

I have the same filter system as you do. I have found it helpful to have a spare set of 4 filters to switch out when the ones in use get dirty.

257WbyMag said:
It's hard to say whether or not your filter is compromised somewhere and allowing dirty water to go to places where it shouldn't. But it does sound like you aren't finished shocking and algae can hide out in places within the pump and pipe system.

I would like to see a full set of test results to see where you are chemistry wise. A CYA level is particularly important here in order to know how much FC you need to truly shock. What kind of test kit do you have?

I have the same filter system as you do. I have found it helpful to have a spare set of 4 filters to switch out when the ones in use get dirty.

Ok I will do the full test. I used to keep a spare set also when I had only a single cartridge system kinda let one soak in cleaner solution for a while. Where do you get your cartridges?

I believe that I got my spare cartidges at Pool and Spa Warehouse. There is a link to them on the home page.

Installing the new set of cartridges will also allow you to eliminate the cartridges as being the source of the dirty water in your returns.

Welcome to TFP!!

I love the first post :goodjob:

I can offer a way for you to 'vacuum to waste' - remove the carts, plug the return lines at the pool and open the drain port on the filter. You'll loose a good bit of water this way but will be able to vacuum the heavy stuff out of the pool without 'overworking' the carts :idea:

Just my $.02 - However you handle this, I hope you get to a swimable pool soon! :-D

Waste I have considered your idea of flushing without filtering my solid muck! Hmmm if I can keep the water level from dropping too low im on a well system. Now im trying to scrub everything. Just seems silly to vacuum when the dirt comes back into the pool via the returns.

FAC=5ppm
ph=7.6
ta=80ppm
calcium hardness=80
cya=25ppm
tds=400
phosphates=600ppm (although I added phophos to lower this should be close to 0)

20,000 gallons

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.