low salt reading and low chlorine

sap414

Jul 2, 2009
I have a salt system on my above ground pool apx. 36x18x4,cannot get the reading up to the 3200,only around 900 and have added 12 40# bags of salt. My stabilizer was low,added this also and my chlorine level stays low even after shocking,what can I do?

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

What are you using to test your water? To assist you, we really need a full set of numbers from a good test kit (not strips)

FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA
CH
Salt (you can use strips for this!)

12-40# bags of salt should have raised your salt level by 4313ppm! What are you using to test your salt level??

Shocking is not a one-time event, it is a process. I suspect you are unable to keep chlorine in your pool because something organic is busy eating it up! (Also, with low CYA or stabilizer, your chlorine will burn off in the sun on a daily basis.)

Shock your pool at night, and keep your FC level up until
1) you have no FC loss overnight, and
2) your cc's are <0.5ppm

Welcome to TFP!!

Which salt unit do you have? (I only have experience with the Goldline/ Hayward units, but others here may have the same unit you have and be able to tell you how to 'recalibrate' the unit --- you should have a LOT more than 900 ppm salt in the pool)

As long as the unit isn't generating, use bleach to sanitize the water :wink:

The more info we have about your pool, the better we can help 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.