Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: low salt reading and low chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

low salt reading and low chlorine

I have a salt system on my above ground pool apx. 36x18x4,cannot get the reading up to the 3200,only around 900 and have added 12 40# bags of salt. My stabilizer was low,added this also and my chlorine level stays low even after shocking,what can I do?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter, Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: low salt reading and low chlorine

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

What are you using to test your water? To assist you, we really need a full set of numbers from a good test kit (not strips)

Salt (you can use strips for this!)

12-40# bags of salt should have raised your salt level by 4313ppm! What are you using to test your salt level??

Shocking is not a one-time event, it is a process. I suspect you are unable to keep chlorine in your pool because something organic is busy eating it up! (Also, with low CYA or stabilizer, your chlorine will burn off in the sun on a daily basis.)

Shock your pool at night, and keep your FC level up until
    1) you have no FC loss overnight, and
    2) your cc's are <0.5ppm

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: low salt reading and low chlorine

Welcome to TFP!!

Which salt unit do you have? (I only have experience with the Goldline/ Hayward units, but others here may have the same unit you have and be able to tell you how to 'recalibrate' the unit --- you should have a LOT more than 900 ppm salt in the pool)

As long as the unit isn't generating, use bleach to sanitize the water

The more info we have about your pool, the better we can help 8)
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)