Losing 4ppm FC a day

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
We have been losing 4ppm of Chlorine a day. That seems way too high to me. I test for CC every time, and it's either 0 or 0.5. Never higher than that. Is there still a chance that I might need to shock?
The pool has been used about 3 hours a day by me and my 3 kids. They never pee in the pool (I think). I just added Borates 2 nights ago, and added more stabilizer almost a week ago.

My test results as of this morning
FC 1.5 (I added 182 oz of bleach to bring it back up to 7)
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 110 (went up after adding borates)
Ch 210 (I need to buy some more Calcium Chloride at the store)
CYA 50 (haven't tested since adding it yet, but that was the goal)
Borates 40

So, my question is: is 4ppm FC loss normal, or should I change some of my numbers?

J,

4ppm is not too far from "normal". If you get full time sun and live in a hot climate like say, Dallas( :lol: ),and you swim in it daily with kids, I'd say that's pretty close to normal.

The overnight FC loss test (in pool school) is the best way to prove it's only the sun and bathers so give that a shot if you're still concerned.

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. I will add a gallon or so of bleach to get my FC up to 7 or more, only to see it drop down to about 1 to 2PPM in the evening. I never have any CC either, or very minimal at most.

My latest readings

FC: 2
CC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 88
CYA: 58
Borates: 50

If algae IS in fact growing and using up the FC would it be indicated by higher CC readings?

When the G-kids swim in it we loose about 4 when it's just me & the DW it looses about 2. I'd say you're about normal.

If I were you I'd do an overnight chlorine drop test, if you haven't already. That'll let you know if you've got anything growing in there.

In other words, it's not too terribly abnormal to be buying boatloads of chlorine in the summer time.
:shock:

Bama Rambler said:
When the G-kids swim in it we loose about 4 when it's just me & the DW it looses about 2. I'd say you're about normal.

If I were you I'd do an overnight chlorine drop test, if you haven't already. That'll let you know if you've got anything growing in there.

Silly question. I know it says to test the water in the morning before the sun hits it. Does that mean while it's still dark, or can i do it during dawn? What about say 8am? I never get up before 8am, but I guess if that's what it takes.....

For the overnight test, what level FC do you want to start with?

It's irrelevant where you start. Simply record it. All that matters is the difference between what you recorded in the evening and what you record the next day. It's that difference that will determine your FC loss.

duraleigh is correct that it is irrelevent; however, I chose my #'s based on the op's CYA level of 50 and the loss of 4ppm per day.

With CYA of 50, the min. FC of 4 + (op's) avg. loss of 4 = 8. So, I suggested 9 or 10 so op would have a safety net. :wink:

I should have perhaps just said ......"add your normal evening dose to your pool".

Sorry if I created any confusion.

jefeyessica said:
Silly question. I know it says to test the water in the morning before the sun hits it. Does that mean while it's still dark, or can i do it during dawn? What about say 8am? I never get up before 8am, but I guess if that's what it takes.....
:mrgreen: dawn is good. As long as the sun is not on your pool. Your pool could be shaded by your house, trees, etc. Just don't wait too long after sunup :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.