First Time BBB Method & other questions

Jun 10, 2009
We currently installed our AGP 18x38 oval. I used shock and have chlorine tablets in a floater. But, I want to change to the BBB method. What do I first need to do? How do I get started? Where is the best place to purchase a test kit and what kind? How often do I need to run my pump & filter? We have a 1hp pump now, is this good enough for it. It there another one you recommend to save money on energy?

Please help! Thank you!

Nora Rodriguez

Hi, and Welcome to TFP!

You will find the answers to the majority of your questions in Pool School (link in upper right corner of every page!)

Basically, BBB is about knowledge and taking good care of your pool. You are already using chlorine as your method of sanitation, so you basically can just start using bleach or chlorinating liquid in place of the pucks or granules.

Also, familiarize yourself with Jason's calculator, linked in my sig. THat is an INVALUABLE free tool that will help you maintain a Trouble Free Pool!!

Welcome to TFP,
Pool School at the top of page. Its worth reading through a few times. Test kit TF100 link is in my signature, or a Taylor K-2006. I like the TF100 you more tests out of it. There is an article in Pool School on determining pump run time. Your pump is more than enough. A two speed would be more economical, but yours is brand new. Some of the experts will weigh in on this.

simple check of you levels once a day, in the evening and a little bleach...the most work is getting your intial balance right...then it's 5 mins or less a day.

Post a full set of results when you get your kit and we'll help you from there. If you decide to not get the TF100 (better value IMHO) and you get the taylor kit instead...make sure it is the k2006.

Pool school has the details on the recommended kits...they are a little pricey, but will pay for itself over and over in the fact you will not have to buy unnecessary chemicals going forward.

So right now I am in between hiring someone to come clean our pool weekly @ $140 a month cost or purchasing the kit and trying the BBB method. We have a very busy, fast pace schedule life.
Our pool water is clear, but did have some slimy feel at the bottom and walls this past weekend. So my husband brushed the bottom and walls, but we have and need to purchase, but don't know what is the best type of pool cleaner vaccum to purchase. Do we need to brush everyday? Sorry for all the questions, but we are new owners of a pool and learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.