Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time BBB Method & other questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time BBB Method & other questions

We currently installed our AGP 18x38 oval. I used shock and have chlorine tablets in a floater. But, I want to change to the BBB method. What do I first need to do? How do I get started? Where is the best place to purchase a test kit and what kind? How often do I need to run my pump & filter? We have a 1hp pump now, is this good enough for it. It there another one you recommend to save money on energy?

Please help! Thank you!

Nora Rodriguez
    Nora Rodriguez
    Waxahachie, TX
    AGP 18 x 38 Oval
    Sand Filter & 1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time BBB Method & other questions

Hi, and Welcome to TFP!

You will find the answers to the majority of your questions in Pool School (link in upper right corner of every page!)

Basically, BBB is about knowledge and taking good care of your pool. You are already using chlorine as your method of sanitation, so you basically can just start using bleach or chlorinating liquid in place of the pucks or granules.

Also, familiarize yourself with Jason's calculator, linked in my sig. THat is an INVALUABLE free tool that will help you maintain a Trouble Free Pool!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP,
    Pool School at the top of page. Its worth reading through a few times. Test kit TF100 link is in my signature, or a Taylor K-2006. I like the TF100 you more tests out of it. There is an article in Pool School on determining pump run time. Your pump is more than enough. A two speed would be more economical, but yours is brand new. Some of the experts will weigh in on this.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you everyone for your quick help. Now my question is, does this BBB method have to be done everyday or how many times?
    Nora Rodriguez
    Waxahachie, TX
    AGP 18 x 38 Oval
    Sand Filter & 1 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

simple check of you levels once a day, in the evening and a little bleach...the most work is getting your intial balance right...then it's 5 mins or less a day.

Post a full set of results when you get your kit and we'll help you from there. If you decide to not get the TF100 (better value IMHO) and you get the taylor kit instead...make sure it is the k2006.

Pool school has the details on the recommended kits...they are a little pricey, but will pay for itself over and over in the fact you will not have to buy unnecessary chemicals going forward.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

So right now I am in between hiring someone to come clean our pool weekly @ $140 a month cost or purchasing the kit and trying the BBB method. We have a very busy, fast pace schedule life.
    Our pool water is clear, but did have some slimy feel at the bottom and walls this past weekend. So my husband brushed the bottom and walls, but we have and need to purchase, but don't know what is the best type of pool cleaner vaccum to purchase. Do we need to brush everyday? Sorry for all the questions, but we are new owners of a pool and learning.
    Nora Rodriguez
    Waxahachie, TX
    AGP 18 x 38 Oval
    Sand Filter & 1 hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Brushing once a week is fine if nothing is going wrong. When there are problems it is a good idea to brush more frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School