Keep adding bleach?

whippoorwill

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Hello,

Just started the BBB process after still not being able to open my pool and spending hundreds of dollars at the pool store this year.

I've read through Pool School and have ordered and am now using the TF-100 test kit.

After first test, used the pool calculator and added as it suggested.

pH, TA look good this morning. FC is still very low even after adding 7 gallons of 6 percent bleach. Should I keep adding a similar amount of bleach as the calculator suggests? I was trying to shock the pool and get the FC to 10 and am surprised all that bleach had such a minor effect.

Here are the numbers:

Yesterday
FC-0
CC-.5
TC-.5
pH-6.8
TA-80
CYA-<20
Temp-86

This morning
FC-.5
CC-1
TC-1.5
pH-7.3
TA-90
CH-60
CYA-<20
Temp-84

I know I need to add stabilizer (pool calc. says 132 oz.) Is that my problem?

Thanks so much for your time and advice!
Greg

Welcome to the forum! :-D

I know I need to add stabilizer (pool calc. says 132 oz.) Is that my problem?
That's part of your problem. Chlorine (bleach) is consumed by only two things......Sunlight and the organics (usually algae) in your pool. The stabilizer, if you get it up to around 40ppm, will help protect the chlorine from the Sun but I suspect your biggest loss is to the organics.

Get stabilizer in ther and, for the next few days, add the chlorine in the evening so the Sun doesn't kill so much of it.

What does your water look like?

Hi, And welcome to TFP!

Shocking is a process, not a one time event! Follow Duraleigh's advice, and also, yes, you need to keep boosting your FC back up to shock levels (especially in the evening) according to the calculator until
1) you can hold your FC overnight
2) you have <0.5 ppm CC

You seem to have a grasp on the chemistry... just have a little POP (pool owner patience) and you will soon be swimming in your TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.