What am I doing wrong?

Marillion Fan

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
About a 1/2 hour from P.S.U.
Drained and refilled the pool yesterday with water from a fresh water stream.
Poured a 182oz bleach in last night, tested this morning and numbers are...
3.5 fc
0 cc
7.8 ph
20 ta
0 cya (new water)

water is clear with a green tint, which tells me there is something going on, but the test results say there isn't.
Am I doing something wrong with the TF100 kit?
I fill to the 10ml mark add powder, water turns pink drop R871 1 at a time, add 5 drops of R003 and nothing changed.

help.....

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Let me ask you this, has your FC held overnight? Also, since filling, have you been running your filter? I would keep chlorine in it and not let it drop to zero at any point, start getting some CYA in there, and keep the filter running constantly to see if it clears.

Keep an eye on your pH as it is at the upper limit. At some point, you are probably going to want to get your TA up as well.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Hopefully you have some muratic acid on hand, and some baking soda. You need to get your TA up, target 90 and then wait a few hours and recheck the PH, and if it's up, lower it down to 7.6.

As for the chlorine, it will be gone by the end of the day without CYA, so hopefully you are getting that in there? Keep adding chlorine to keep it up throughout the day, and make sure it's holding overnight. If it's not holding overnight you will have to raise it to shock level, perhaps once if the water is clear.

MF,
water is clear with a green tint, which tells me there is something going on, but the test results say there isn't.
The test results will not confirm the presence of algae.
refilled the pool yesterday with water from a fresh water stream.

While your results look good, remember you loaded the pool from a stream which already had tons or organics (algae) in it.

You need to get CYA in the pool to protect the chlorine and LOTS of chlorine in the pool to kill the algae.

Pump has been running, chlorine dropped by 2ppm over night.
My concern is before I drained the water was green & cloudy to the point of not seeing the bottom.
My test results were about the same, showing no CC with the filter running for 3 weeks and couldn't see any change in clarity.

Thought maybe I was missing something in the testing.

duraleigh said:
MF,
The test results will not confirm the presence of algae.

While your results look good, remember you loaded the pool from a stream which already had tons or organics (algae) in it.

You need to get CYA in the pool to protect the chlorine and LOTS of chlorine in the pool to kill the algae.
Hmmmmmm.... I assumed the test would show CC confirming a problem...my bad.

CYA is already in a sock in my skimmer basket dissolving as we speak.

I agree with FPM...af few years ago we had water delivered to fill our pool...turns out the trucking co never told us it was pond water...as soon as we added shock it greened up. Raise your water to shock level and hold it there until you lose 1ppm of FC or less overnight...good luck

I also thought that 0 CC meant that there was no problem? Am I wrong??
Yeah, that's a little confusing. An unhealthy pool may or may not have CC's. A healthy pool will have virtually none.

So, the presence of CC's (1.0 or greater) is a problem that needs attention. However, the absence of CC's doesn't mean you are out of the woods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I NEED MORE POP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slowly getting there.
This evenings numbers as of 8:30
FC 11.5
CC 0.0
PH 6.8
TA 40
CYA 40

Still have a green tint but it is getting lighter.
The sock I was using to dissolve the CYA in seems to want to play catcher, so I have left it (an old hunting sock) in my skimmer basket as a "skimmer Sock" :-D
Added a Gallon of bleach to get to the now known 16ppm shock level and added a box of Borax to lift the PH.
I'll work on the TA when the water clears and we have some spill out and/or evaporation.

Ok FC dropped 1ppm overnight from 16 to 15.
took it back up to 16 and will hold it there until it doesn't drop but water is starting to sparkle.
I will be getting in this evening to vacuum real good and to mix it up a bit.

latest #'s from this morning were
FC 15
CC 0.0
PH 7.8
TA 70
CYA 40

Just took it back up to shock level a few minutes ago, hopefully it will hold overnight and I can start letting it drop to normal levels.

Still need more pop though. :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.