how much bleach = 1 pkg shock?

Welcome to TFP!

There are various products that are labeled with the word "shock". You need to know which particular one you are using to find out how much bleach it is equivalent to.

You can use my Pool Calculator to figure this kind of thing out. If you select your product from the pop-up menu in the FC section and play with the Now and Target settings until it recommends using 16 oz, you can then look at the amount of bleach it says to use.

If you are talking about the common 1 lb bags of cal hypo 48% that are sold just about everywhere these days then 1 bag will raise 10K gallons of water about 5.5 ppm FC and raise CH by about 4ppm

If you are talking about dichlor then 1 lb will raise 10k gallons about 6.5 ppm FC but will drop the pH by about .25 and raise CYA by about 5.5 ppm

If you are talking about 6% ultra bleach it will raise 10K gallons 6 ppm FC and have no impact on CH or pH.

If you are talking about pool store liqiud chloirne at 12.5% it will raise 10K gallons 12.5 ppm FC and have no impact on CH or pH.

(My numbers do not exactly coincide with Jason's pool calculator but I calculate them manually and they are extremely close. I make no comment on which is more precise since I really do not know.)

As far as 'rotating' bleach and shock. Shock is a verb, not a noun. What I mean by that is that it is something we DO to a pool, not a specific product. It means raising the FC above normal daily levels for a period of time to either oxidize organics and CC or to kill algae. There is no product that is 'shock'. All forms of chlorine are sold as shock, including bleach! I have seen 6% bleach labeled "liquid shock' and 12.5% labeled pool chlorine. I have also seen the IDENTICAL calcium hypochlorite labeled as 'shock' in 1 lb bags and as pool chlorinator in 55 lb drums. It's all marketing.

As mentioned by Jason & Waterbear there are lots of products in 1 lb bags labeled "shock'. In order to give you a definitive answer we'll have to know which one you have. If you could give us the ingredient list on the bag someone could give you a pretty good idea of the conversion ratio.

What are you trying to accomplish? Routine chlorination?

Use the Pool Calculator, enter pool gallons. Enter your current FC level, then enter your target/goal. Hit calculate, and it will tell you how much bleach or cal-hypo to add to reach the desire FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.