Polaris 280 Cleaner Using a Variable Speed Pump

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hello, we are taking the plunge (pun intended) and building an inground pool. The specifics are: free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 23,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter, Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system. I was going to install a Polaris Halycon booster pump for a Polaris 280 cleaner but was told by a tech support person from Zodiac Pool Products that I do not need a separate pump if I have a variable speed pump. The tech support person told me to install a 3-port valve with a Jandy valve actuator to divert water to the dedicated return line for the Polaris cleaner. He said that I could adjust the pump speed until the correct pressure and flow for the cleaner was obtained.

Now for my questions:

1.Has anyone done this?
2.How well does it work?
3.Where would I tie in the 3-port valve for the dedicated return line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That's interesting that Zodiac actually recommended that since they sell booster pumps and not variable speed filter pumps...

Still, I'd argue against it. You may or may not be able to generate enough pressure to run the cleaner, and even if you do it means putting all your other equipment under more pressure than it needs to be under. A booster pump goes directly to the cleaner without putting additional stress on your heater, filter, SWG, etc.

If you want to use a single pump set up I'd recommend one of the non-booster pump cleaners such as the Polaris 360.

The specs to drive my Polaris 280 are 8 GPM at 45 PSI which turns the wheels at exactly 30..

I can't believe they recommended that. 50 PSI is very high head and many pool filter pumps don't have impellers designed for that type of curve. You will have to have an additional valve and actuator and controller programming to make it work. Possible but not my first choice.

The specs to drive my Polaris 280 are 8 GPM at 45 PSI which turns the wheels at exactly 30..

I can't believe they recommended that. 50 PSI is very high head and many pool filter pumps don't have impellers designed for that type of curve. You will have to have an additional valve and actuator and controller programming to make it work. Possible but not my first choice.

Spishex,

After yet another call to Zodiac, they now state that I was given incorrect information from the tech support person that told me I could run the Polaris 280 using the variable speed pump. They now suggest the Polaris 360 that you mentioned in your response. I am in the process of comparing the Polaris 360 and the Poolvergnuegen pressure side cleaner which also does not require a booster pump. Any comments or reviews on the above cleaners would be appreciated.

Learthur,

I agree with you about the pump curve not being capable of handling the high head. As far as the controls go, I have a Jandy PDA-P8 control system which has the capability to control a 3-port valve which selects between the normal return and the cleaner return. I will install an electric valve actuator and adjust both the valve position and pump speed until I find a good operating point for the cleaner. Once I find that point, I will adjust the actuator to remember the correct position.

Thanks you both for your help.

I told a lie! Zodiac merged with Jandy, and there's a VS Stealth available. Anyway...

If you're sure you want to go without a booster pump then both the ones you mentioned work fine. The 360 might be a little more prone to failure since it's belt driven. I think the Poolvergnuegen is geared but not sure.

A booster pump model like the 280 will be a faster, better cleaner and will help your pool's circulation rather than choking it back when it's on. But you can always add the booster pump later. The important part is that you have the dedicated line installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.