Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tear in pool, drain to fix or not

1. Back To Top    #1

tear in pool, drain to fix or not

i was in my pool today having a clean around with my mask and snorkell and i came across a 2" tear in the bottom

can this be fixed or do i have to drain the pool to fix it

15 x 36 Intex AGP
    External skimmer
    Mega sand filter
    1/3 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Northwest Indiana

Re: tear in pool, drain to fix or not

There is a pool patch kit you can buy...It is a special glue that can be applied to the patch, and then you can put it under the water very fast and put in in place. Our pool installer told us about it. I don't know what it is called but he said it is very important to use a broom stick to swirl around your legs as you put it in place...The glue will get in the water and then will stick to your legs...then it is very painful to get off. If you swirl the broom handle, it will stick to the broom handle. he told me that these patches are nearly indestructable and are just about permanent. Sorry I can't give you more particulars.

Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Southwest New Hampshire

Look for the Boxer brand patch kit. I patched a tear about that size, two feet below the waterline. I didn't have any problems with glue in the water or anything. You just cut your patch, making sure it is round and leaving an inch or so around the tear. Apply the glue to the patch, fold it over, pop under the surface open up the patch and apply it. You want to make sure there aren't any bubbles under the patch so press firmly all the way around. I used a rolling pin, too, but I'm not sure I needed to.
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Gazz, you can probably patch it. I'm a little rushed for time, but the info on how to do it out there - search for "patch" and use my name and they should show up. If you have more questions on this, I'll keep my eye on this thread 8)
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)