Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: does more gph equal more suction?

1. Back To Top    #1

does more gph equal more suction?

I have attempted to run a pump powered vacuum to no avail! I don't have a skimmer so I have been taking the hose and hooking it directly to the filter pump, of course it doesn't work.

After trying in vane to use a vacuum powered by suction from the filter pump, I started researching my pump.

This is what I found. It is a 30gph pump! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10715079

if the above is true, would I be able to purchase a 1,000gph intex filter pump and be able to run the vacuum?

its not an automatic gadget, it is manual vacuum on a pole.

Is my thinking correct? more gph = more suction?
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: does more gph equal more suction?

Yes, the larger pump will give you more suction. Also, be sure you have one of the special low flow rate vacuum heads made for Intex pools and not a vacuum head made for an in-ground vinyl pool.

I suspect you meant to say the 530 gph pump. Intex doesn't make a 30 gph pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool! I am hoping that it is just a typo on the walmart site!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, the larger pump will give you more suction. Also, be sure you have one of the special low flow rate vacuum heads made for Intex pools and not a vacuum head made for an in-ground vinyl pool.
    I dunno! lol it was like 10 dollars at walmart and has brushes on the bottom of it. I have noticed the 3 closest walmarts have nothing for intex pools except their pool packages and the swg for 199