Hayward Goldline Aqua Plus Relay Problem

JimM01

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
Northern Virgina
The electrician that I hired to install my Aqua Plus system could not get it to work after 13 hours! I took a look at what he did and for the FILTER relay, he had connected the two wires from the 240V breaker to one side of the relay and the two wires going to the pump on the other side of the relay:

FILTER RELAY
Terminal
1 2 3 4
| | | |
| | v v
| | main pump
v v
circuit breaker

What he SHOULD have done is connect the wires from the circuit breaker to terminals 1 and 3, and the wires to the main pump to 2 and 4.

I think his mis-wiring caused a short-circuit to occur when the relay was switched on. (Terminals 1 and 2 are connected, and 3 and 4 are connected) Could this cause irreperable damage to the relay? I rewired everything correctly, but the relay seems to be stuck in the closed position now. He wired the AUX 1 and AUX 2 relays the same way and after I rewired them, they are stuck in the closed position too. Only the LIGHTS relay appears to work correctly because it was never wired up.

I just need to know if there is any way to reset the relays back to the open position or if I have to bite the bullet and just replace all three of them.

I just got off the phone with Goldline technical support and they will not discuss this with me because I am the homeowner and not a licensed electrician or certified Goldline technician.

Thanks,

Jim

I was able to disassemble one of the relays and the contacts were fused together because of the short circuit. I found the Goldline replacement part online for about $70, but when I looked up the OEM part number I found it at an electrical supply company for $12.

Probably not. He refuses to complete the installation. (Long story.) He already installed the panel and ran all the wiring except for the heater connection. I gave him a $500 deposit of which $400 or so went to buy GFCI breakers. For the remaining $100 plus $36 for the new relays, I have a nearly complete installation, so I actually came out way ahead. If he had finished the installation, I would have owed him an additional $810. Once I get the new relays, I can easily hook everything up in about 20 minutes. I interviewed three electricians and they all wanted to charge about $1500 to install the system. I thought that was kind of steep until I called the local Goldline dealer and he wanted to charge me $4200 to purchase and install the Aqua Plus system. I was able to get it online for a little over $1000 so I think I made out all right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.