Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter line problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter line problems

Ok here is my question I am having a migrane headache with this problem, When I turn on my filter I am getting a lot of air coming through the lines. I am new to pools but I know enough that this is not normal. I have tried to backwash it several time and restart but it is just not working. I called the "pool man" to look at it he tells me just needed a good backwash. I am still havin g the same problem after this idoit looked at it. Can anybody give me a clue as to what I can do on my own to 1 find the problem and 2 fix the problem? Thanks I really appreciate any help. Oh it is an inground pool hayword filter is new just put it on only used it 1 season.
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Look for a leak in the suction side, possibly on the filter itself, the pump basket lid (does yours have an o-ring that's missing?), a leaking ball valve or fitting, etc.

3. Back To Top    #3
    sirnic - I cannot help you with your problem, however... welcome to TFP!

itabb - please start a new topic with your question/problem, as you will get better help that way... tagging onto a thread with "I have a similar problem..." just confuses things, and nobody gets a clear answer. Thanks!!

We mermaids have a short attention span, and one problem per thread is about all we can handle!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Just like range said, suction side leak. 99 percent of the time it is either the lid gasket or the pipe glue melted on the pipe coming in to the pump. Rub some soap bubbles around there and you'll find it in no time. One note though, the filter is on the pressure side