Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Determining Pump Flow Rate

1. Back To Top    #1

Vero Beach, FL

Determining Pump Flow Rate

I am having a pool built right now. It has an attached spa. When I fill the pool / spa, I can determine the exact gallons of the spa by measuring how long it takes to fill and knowing the gpm from my hose. Later, can I then drain the spa, fill it with the pump making sure it is sucking from the pool drain and returning only to the spa and be able to figure out the pump gpm? I know the head might be slightly off, but do you think it will be close enough?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Determining Pump Flow Rate

That should give you a rough idea but it could be more than 10% off depending on the difference between the pool and spa plumbing. However, you could probably make adjustments based upon the difference in filter pressure.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Determining Pump Flow Rate

Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.