Algae starting

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Still trying to learn and understand this stuff.

The past couple days i've noticed algae growing in the deep end...it brushes off with a little elbow grease, but decides to come back the next day.

My PH seems to be low and wont rise - 6.8
But I believe my chlorine level is ideal - 1.5

I have a two part tester so that's all of the information i have available to me.

Any suggestions?

Take a water sample to the pool store and have them test it for you but dont let them seel you any chemicals and post a full set of numbers here so we can help you.

I recommend reading our Pool School section. It will answer some of your questions.
You should get a reliable test kit also to test your own water with. I suggest either the TF100 Test kit (sold on this forum) or the Taylor2006 test kit (I think it is)

Your FC level is way to low and needs to be raised. Your PH is low as well.

TizMe said:
Take a water sample to the pool store and have them test it for you but dont let them seel you any chemicals and post a full set of numbers here so we can help you.

I recommend reading our Pool School section. It will answer some of your questions.
You should get a reliable test kit also to test your own water with. I suggest either the TF100 Test kit (sold on this forum) or the Taylor2006 test kit (I think it is)

Your FC level is way to low and needs to be raised. Your PH is low as well.

I'm having my wife head to the water place tomorrow to get a test run...hopefully she doesnt come back with chemicles...Lol

I was looking at this test kit, compared to the TF100 and the Taylor2006.

Is it decent?

It will get more clear as you go along, just like your water will!! :mrgreen:

I know you are overwhelmed right now, and I don't want to toss about more things that will confuse you!

You need 2 main things right now:

1) You need to get your pH up asap! You can use 20 mule team borax (in the laundry aisle) to accomplish this. Plug your numbers into Jason's calculator (link in my signature) to see how much you need to get you to about 7.4

2) You need to know your CYA level. Without that number, you cannot determine how much chlorine you need (chlorine levels are regulated depending on your CYA level. 1.5 is barely ok if you have very low CYA)

Until you get a good test kit, do as TizMe suggested, and take a water sample to the pool store for a test. Report your numbers here and we will help you further!

PS: The test kit you linked is not really sufficient. OTO (which tests for chlorine) will only test for low levels (up to 5) and will also only test for Total Chlorine, which is the Free Chlorine that is available to work plus the spent Combined Chloramines. You need a way to measure FC and CC separately, and a test with FAS-DPD is the only way to do this. I know they seem expensive, but you really will save a lot of money in the long run by taking charge of your pool with a good tester!

Thanks for the info.

I'll be forking over the dollars here in the next few days for a test kit...
I guess once i start working on it on my own, things will start to make more sense then they do right now.

As for tomorrow i'll have the wife run a test down to the pool store to get some numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.