Pool Pump stops working, very hot, now working again

itabb

Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My pool pump stopped working today. It just stopped. The case was very hot. So I turned it off, left it for an hour, and turned it back on. It's still hot, but it was running normally. The only thing I can think of is that the solar panel valve is automatic, and turns on and off based on the Jandy controls. Maybe it turned on and the pump could not force the air out of the solar panels. The pump is a StaRite 1.5 HP. I is probably 4-5 years old. As it just so happens, today is the first day I ran the pump for a constant 9 hours instead of 2 different 3 hour shifts. However, I have run this pump continuously for 24 hours, as recently as 3 days ago, without any problem (that I know of). Any thoughts about what to watch out for? Does this mean my pump is going?

The two most likely possibilities are that either the water flow was blocked or something is going wrong with your motor. Checking water flow is easy enough. If the pump was in direct sunlight while running it might have gotten to hot that way, though that would have to assume that you had not had much direct sunlight while it was running in the past.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.