starting from scratch?

Jun 16, 2009
Seattle, wa
Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you for all the help and feedback I had with my last topic (small particles in the water turning the pool milky).
After trying many different things I just realized that I would never get those tiny particles out unless I drained the pool entirely.
Pool is almost totally drained now, and we are planning a day for the scrubbing and rinsing to make sure we get as much as possible of there things out.
Now, here's my question, is there a good "happy" BBB way of starting with a nice new fill of water in the pool? What are the pitfalls or the things that are a "must"?
If there is another post on this, feel free to point to it (I searched a bit but couldn't find one).
Also, wanted to say thank you to the person who put together the pool calculator on this BB. WOW! looks like a lot of work to put together and it is SO extremely helpful!

That's all for now.

Well, the first things to get in there would be the bleach and some CYA. You can fill it up and then add the bleach and CYA or you can add the bleach as you fill. CYA is slow to dissolve unless you get the liquid CYA (more $$). Just keep in mind that until you have a decent residual level of CYA in there, your FC is going to be consumed by the sun fairly quickly.

"Normal" CYA levels for a non-SWG pool is 30 to 50 ppm. Use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA to add to get you to say, 30 ppm to start. That way, if the amount you add ends up being a little more than 30 ppm worth when you end up testing, you'll be okay. It's easier to add more CYA later than it is to end up with too much and having to drain.

While your CYA is dissolving (takes several days), you'll need to test your chlorine levels often and add bleach often. Don't let the FC fall to zero. Once your CYA is dissolved and things begin to settle, you can fine tune your numbers from that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.