Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Arman Hammer Baking Soda Tablets..any downside?

Arman Hammer Baking Soda Tablets..any downside?

Arman Hammer Clear Balance™ Pool Maintenance Tablets

I have a friend who is using the BBB method and went away for a week. His TA and pH seem to drop fairly regularly, so he tosses one of these Arman Hammer pucks in. He swear they bring his pool into spec within an hour and maintain pretty well.

They're $25 for 16 tablets at walmart. Fortunately, I have no issues with either pH or TA, but was wondering what you all thought of these tablets (just in case).
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, BBB method
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Sun from 10:30AM-2:00PM.

Re: Arman Hammer Baking Soda Tablets..any downside?

I hadn't heard it it so I looked it up, looks like it's just their Soda Ash in tablet form, which is convenient to use with trichlor tablets. I couldn't find the MSDS.

There must be a reason why his PH and TA drop regularly....normal BBB methods they should hold stead, unless his tap water is very low in both and he has alot of water replacement?

Usually the PH/TA drop with trichlor use and soda ash is the remedy for that...
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

It looks to be a slow dissolving baking soda tablet with added clarifier, at least according to this web page. I suppose that if you are using trichlor it might compensate for your PH and TA constantly falling, but even then it would be less expensive to use soda ash, so I don't see the point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Where can you buy soda ash?
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, BBB method
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Sun from 10:30AM-2:00PM.

I haven't seen it at my local walmart, but it would be in the laundry aisle. It's also called "PH Up" in pool stores....but for more money, LOL.
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Soda ash is sold as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including pH Increaser, pH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Soda ash can also be found at craft stores near the fabric dyes. Wife just finished a tie dye project with some family kids and used soda ash to prepare the fabric before dyeing commenced.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

arm and hammer pool care stuff at the 3 closest walmarts to me is right next to the "hth" chemical stuff...
    The following is a cheap test pool to learn from before purchasing a 27ft one.

1700 gallon AG intex all in one metal frame pool. Filter system is an old Jacuzzi 200lb filter with an old Hayward 1hp pump.

Leslie's in Exton has it also. It is in a small tub and is labeled Soda Ash.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

saw the A&H tabs at my walmart as well in the pool supplies/toy section...$16 or so for a bag of baking soda tabs Got to love marketing

Here is a link...alomg with a link on the webpage to the official A&H pool care guide...honestly, it seems to give pretty solid advice, but does not mention this clear balance marketing stuff
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

This website lists the ingredients on the label as:

Sodium Bicarbonate.....86.60%
    Clarifier And Other Ingredients.....13.40%

Arm & Hammer describes their Clear Balance product in this link where you can read a Pool Owner's Guide which goes into more detail. Basically, the product is just baking soda plus a clarifier. The talk about pH is about pH stability (i.e. buffering). This product would mostly be used with Trichlor to keep the TA higher, though realistically one could use a pH Up product to balance TA and pH at the same time at a not-so-high TA level. If you use baking soda, the TA would have to be quite a bit higher to only use this product to maintain the TA and pH at the same time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"