Input on replacing pump in above ground pool?

Jun 28, 2009
I've got a several year old Doughboy 21' AG. I recently replumbed it with PVC as I was constantly fighting with leaky flex lines. I went ahead and replaced my filter sand at the same time. I think I damaged my pump though while moving stuff around, as it now is leaking. It's a Doughboy Power Pak II, 1HP. I replaced the motor a couple of years ago when it died, but I'm now wondering if it's wasteful to throw more money at keeping this pump alive. I have found at least two cracks - both in the basket canister. It looks like I can get a replacement canister for ~$120. If I was confident that this is the only problem, I'd be fine with this, but I don't want to replace this part only to discover that the leak was elsewhere. Part of why I think there may be a leak in the body of the pump is that it leaks worse while running.

So, do I continue to keep this one alive by throwing parts at it, or do I go ahead and replace it? If I replace it, with what? It seems that 1HP pumps range from $200 - $1200, and not being in the industry, I have no knowledge on why.

FYI, this pump has been serving us fine, so I don't think I need any more power, flow, or features. It's a 110V unit that simply plugs into a grounded outlet, and I'd prefer to keep it that way (no hardwiring, timers, etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

hey i just got a waterways brand 2 hp pujmp brand new off ebay for 154 with 25 dallar shipping ... he also had a buy in now on a hayward 1.5 hp for 179 .... my 2 hp is way over doing it i know but my 5500 gallon soft side never looked so clean hehe ... just call me tim the tool man har har har

Since it's still working, I think I would just start watching craigs list. I bought my Hayward 3/4 hp pump, and Pentair sand filter for $100. I have saw several used pumps for sale cheap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.