Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chemical content of European swimming pool products

1. Back To Top    #1

chemical content of European swimming pool products

Hi

I found this page, looking for the CYA content of the chlorine tabs I bought in France:

http://ile-de-france.sante.gouv.fr/s...on/prodpis.htm

Trouble is, I don't fully understand the numbers.

NOM DATE SOCIETE CL2 PRODUIT AGR
    CARREFOUR CHLORE PASTILLES 50/20 02/11/94 ELF - ATOCHEM 50 ACIDE TRICHLORO-ISOCYANURIQUE 1934
    So Cl2 = 50 and trichloroisocyanuric acid (C3Cl3N3O3) =1934, but what? milligram? The tablets weigh 20 gram each, so they are 99% something else? That can't be true.

It probably is a relative number, independent of tablet weight. Also, the chlorine content varies with the same AGR (?) value. The Wikipedia entry of trichloroisocyanuric acid is probably written by a pool-chemicals salesman:

Benefits of TCCA in Swimming Pool- [sic]
    * Available with 90% chlorine concentration
    * Due to high chlorine content, handling is easy for large pools.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid

Can somebody explain to me how the chlorine concentration can vary in a pure substance with a known formula?

Or is this just more obfuscation from pool-chemical sellers?

I'm so happy I found TFP. I was wading through all kinds of stuff and outraged by the prices. Solid info was nowhere to be found. I'm still attending Pool School.
    9' Bestway Inflatable Ring Pool (Soup Bowl Style)
    Above Ground, 761 gallon
    1/32 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chemical content of European swimming pool products

Not knowing french, it is a little bit difficult to be sure, but those appear to be 55% trichlor and 45% filler. Pure trichlor has 90% available chlorine, but these have only 50% available chlorine, so they are 55% trichlor and the rest is inert.

The way things like % available chlorine is calculated is weird, it is easy for the percentages to add up to more than 100%. If you really want to know, read here, but I don't recommend trying to understand it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School