Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt/Water draining into pool thru tile after heavy rains

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt/Water draining into pool thru tile after heavy rains

I have an inground gunite pool with tile around the rim. The gunite looks to be in pretty bad shape, a few tiles are missing and lots of grout (particularly between the tile and the concrete deck) is cracked or missing.

Everytime their is heavy rain my pool would turn green, eventually I figured out that it was not an algae problem, but water was draining into the pool underneath the concrete deck and through the tile, carrying a large amount of dirt with it. If you get close up to the edge of the pool you can watch the dirt being carried into the pool, and from far away you could watch the "dirt cloud" as it spread across the pool.

So my questions are:

Is this a entirely a drainage problem that I should attempt to correct (fixing the tile area of the pool won't help)?
    Is this a problem with the tile that will be solved if the pool is retiled?
    Is there a problem behind the tile that is going to cost me a lot of money when the pool is redone?
    Or do I need to fix everything?
    Sal

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dirt/Water draining into pool thru tile after heavy rains

Quote Originally Posted by mdamico
    I have an inground gunite pool with tile around the rim. The gunite looks to be in pretty bad shape, a few tiles are missing and lots of grout (particularly between the tile and the concrete deck) is cracked or missing.

Everytime their is heavy rain my pool would turn green, eventually I figured out that it was not an algae problem, but water was draining into the pool underneath the concrete deck and through the tile, carrying a large amount of dirt with it. If you get close up to the edge of the pool you can watch the dirt being carried into the pool, and from far away you could watch the "dirt cloud" as it spread across the pool.

So my questions are:

Is this a entirely a drainage problem that I should attempt to correct (fixing the tile area of the pool won't help)?
    It's drainage....water needs to run AWAY from the pool

Is this a problem with the tile that will be solved if the pool is retiled?
    No. I think your tile needs to be replaced/repaired, but I think the water into the pool has to be solved first

Is there a problem behind the tile that is going to cost me a lot of money when the pool is redone?
    Or do I need to fix everything?
    That's pretty hard to say, but it sure sounds like you need a major repair
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Good luck, and welcome to TFP! There are many folks here that can assist you in making your decisions!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

mdamico,

I was so involved giving you that somewhat gloomy reply to your questions, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. It's a great place to exchange ideas........WELCOME!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School