Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! We need light working before the 4th!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! We need light working before the 4th!

Opened up the pool this season & found the aqua luminator light not working so ordered a replacement bulb which we put in today which also doesn't work. We've had the light for 7 or 8 yrs & have been happy with it & this is only the 2nd time we've had to replace the bulb. Does anyone know how to test 1 of these to rule out a problem of another sort, like maybe the transformer that came with the light is shot or something? I can't find anywhere what the volt or wattage is on this bulb or the whole light set up. And only 1 week til the 4th of July party, I'm feeling desperate. Any thoughts would be much appreciated !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! We need light working before the 4th!

Most all those lights are 12volts. The transformer reduces the voltage from 120v to 12v If you have a multimeter you can unhook the transformer and test both sets wires for continuity. If one of the sets of windings are open the transformer is shot. If you're comfortable with troubleshooting live electrical equipment you can hook it up and see if you read voltage on the light side.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Many deck light systems have a 12v transformer. My Aqualuminator transformer went bad. I replaced it with a 12V transformer from a deck light system. You can buy at home deopt, Lowes, etc. Look on the cap that covers the connectors on the outside of the pool. Mine has the voltage and amps. on it.
    Geoshecks
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies, at least we have somewhere to start now as far as tryin to figure it out in a hurry!

5. Back To Top    #5

2 weeks ago we had to fix an identical problem - the solution in this case was to bend the little tabs closer to each other --- whoever had replaced the bulb before we went out there had bent one of them a little, preventing the bulb from fully touching the contact 8)

This is the first time I've seen that, but it won't hurt to try it and if it doesn't work, check the transformer as per above
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)