Best way

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
I had gotten tired of the jugs of liquid chlorine, also was concerned about the jugs in the landfill, and decided to start using cal-hypo or trichlor, and then just drain some of the water at the end of the season. My calcium level is also low enough I could use cal-hypo a long time without having to worry about scaling. With the cal-hypo, I sprinkled it onto the surface and then brushed afterwards. The tub said it was safe for vinyl pools to do that. I ended up with little white spots where I had put it in the pool. :( So I then put it in the skimmer. I found out quickly that small bits of cal-hypo can escape when you do that and I ended up with little white spots under the skimmer. :( I tried putting it into a skimmer sock. Did you know that cal-hypo can melt a skimmer sock?! :shock: This is tough stuff; tough to get it to dissolve, and you can't put it in a skimmer sock. Or maybe it was just because I had tied it shut into the skimmer sock so none of the small bits of cal-hypo could escape and bleach my pool anymore.... Anyway, the only way I can use it without my pool getting any more "freckles" is by putting it into a bucket of water and stirring the heck out of it. Pain in the butt. The only good thing I can see about cal-hypo is it's good to have some on hand because of it's long shelf life and if you run out of the liquid you can use it 'til you can get some more. Also if your calcium level is low enough it's good for shocking.

As far as the tri-chlor... A friend of mine had used an automated chlorinator for awhile and told me not to because when you open it to put more tablets in, the concentrated smell of the chlorine in the chlorinator is really strong! I still have the frog, not hooked up, and I know that you can use the bak-pacs without the minerals because the bak-pacs are high enough to hold them in place. Also you don't have the problem of the concentrated chlorine smell since the bak-pacs are the plastic things. But again, more plastic in the landfill, and the expense of using them! No frog for me! So I put tablets in the floater. And I discovered that it is impossible to get a good, steady amount of chlorine from those things! Windy days = more chlorine. Less windy = less chlorine. Also you have to keep your pump on a set amount of time each day, and I tend to vary it depending on the wind and the amount of Crud it blows in my pool (and also sometimes forget.) Not to mention as the tablets get smaller, they have less surface area and that seems to affect the amount of chlorine.

So I decided liquid chlorine for a while longer, at least, but am still planning on an SWG sometime in the future...

Another problem with trichlor is that ultimately your CYA level will be way too high.

Is there any kind of recycling center nearby? Better use of the empty jugs than a landfill.

Sounds like an SWG is just the ticket!
--paulr

The recycling guidelines here do say no pool chemicals - I don't know; maybe if I rinse the jugs out really well they'll take them.

Yeah, I know that with tri-chlor the only way to keep your cya manageable is by draining some of your water out every so often, and even doing that, you'll get really high after awhile unless you drain lots of water. That's why I tried cal-hypo at first; my CH was about 200, so I knew that wouldn't be a problem. Didn't realize those little granules wouldn't want to dissolve! :roll: Guess I'll just use the rest of that bucket of cal-hypo for shocking or when I run out of liquid (and stir it in a bucket 'till my arm wants to fall off before putting it in the pool.)

In my area, I use 12.5% chlorinating liquid from a local pool store and they reuse the bottles -- I pay a small deposit and I take back the old bottles and get new ones. At the end of the season when I return more bottles than I need, I get my small deposit back. Reuse is even better than recycling. It's too bad you don't have a pool store in your area doing this.

Cal-Hypo is best applied by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water. That way, if there is any left undissolved, you can not add that to the pool. You would also pour from the bucket into the pool over a return flow with the pump running, just as you would with any concentrated chemical.

Another option for you would be a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) system, but that's up-front capital cost (and later replacement cost for the cell every so many years). And, of course, there are the non-BBB options that are more costly in terms of use of algaecide to prevent algae growth and not care so much about the higher CYA, at least for some time.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.