Robo for super fine sediment

Jun 27, 2009
I'm a new pool owner with the 20K gallon in-ground lined pool. Georgia is full of red clay and a lot of it ends up in the bottom of my pool. It has the consistency of baby powder. Move to fast with the hose vac and I've got a cloud. Also, when I backwash I get a red "dust" cloud coming out my jets.

I'm considering a Robo (either the AquaBot T4RC or the Dolphin Deluxe 5 from Leslie's) to help with my fine sediment. There are other reasons I want a Robo, but I want to make sure the Robo I get can handle the fine stuff without just blowing it up into the water column to settle out later.

Any input or comments would be much appreciated.

OctoberGlory
Atlanta, Georgia USA[*]

Welcome to the forum.

Also, when I backwash I get a red "dust" cloud coming out my jets.
Are you using the "rinse" setting before you return to "filter"? On my pool, I have to rinse for around one minute to keep dirty water from re-entering the pool.

Whether or not a robot would hold the red clay would be guesswork since we don't know the size of the red clay particles. My bet is it certainly would.

You do not see the red clay returning to the pool during regular vacuuming, I assume. If that's the case, most robot bags are supposed to filter finer than a sand filter so they should surely keep it in the bag.

I agree not sure how much of the bags will actually capture of the stuff. Though most bags claim down in the micron size, but I'm not sure how many microns the dust you're dealing with is. I would be more concerned about how the movement of the robot itself wouldn't just kick up all the dust rather than filter it. I know when I had the Blue Diamond, it moved so fast sometime it would just push debris (like leaves, etc.) out of the way rather than suck it up, so it would result in a little longer cleaning time. Maybe that wouldn't happen with slower bots?

We have the T4Rc and love it; it gets fine sediment to a few microns. We take the bag out after we take the unit out of the pool, turn it inside out, and clean it by spraying with a high pressure hose nozzle. Keeps the bag clean, and the pool stays really clean, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.