Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: beetles

1. Back To Top    #1

We've recently had a massive invasion from the Japanese beetles, or whatever the shiny greenish things are! They seem to be getting past the skimmer basket, though they seem too big for that. I now have them filling the filter basket. It's also a problem to try get them out of the filter basket..when I lift the basket out of the filter, the bugs seem to float back into the drain pipe, only to shoot out again once I turn the filter back on. Anyone else having bug problems and how can I stop them at the skimmer? Ideas??
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: beetles

Use a skimmer sock on the inside of your skimmer basket. Some folks here use knee-high panty hose instead, but my skimmer basket is too big in diameter to stretch one over the rim.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

That's strange that they would be getting past your skimmer basket. That is, unless your skimmer basket is floating up when the pump shuts off, allowing them to get around and underneath the skimmer basket. Have you checked that?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I will see what I can do with the sock..but in the meantime, if in fact the basket is floating up, how can I keep it down???
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5
    Middle Tennessee

Putting something with some heft to it in the basket to hold it down. Make sure it's bigger than the opening of the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer, so it doesn't accidentally get sucked into the pipe or the pump. A nice big smooth rock would work.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"