need help with conversion

Jun 26, 2009
Hello all I am happy to have found this site and hope someone can help me out. I have a 15' x 4' abg pool and have been trying to convert from baquacrap to chlorine using bleach. I started the conversion about two and half weeks ago {before I found this site} with advice from a friend who had succesfully done the same last summer. I realize now my test kit from walmart isn't going to cut it ,but here's my dilema I thought things were going well made it through the funky colors and such but my pool just won't get clear it has a light green tint to it. I have been maintianing 10-15ppm for for almost two weeks now and running pump and cartridge filter non stop execpt for cleaning, everything thing else is in check,ph is 7.2. I had the water tested before starting up on baq. and no metals were found so i don't think thats the problem. The local pool store doesn't want to help much as their the one's who recommended baquacrap to start with and can't understand why I didn't want a pool full of water mold. I didn't have any issue's with algea prior to the conversion just the water mold. The water isn't really cloudy or milky it just has that light green tint. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help offered.

A full set of numbers would help but the main thing I'm looking for is your CYA level. If your at CYA of 45 or higher your not adding enough chlorine to clear the water. You want to be in the 16-20 range for shock. I believe the pool school link on the top right has the CYA/Chlorine chart that will tell you where you need to set and hold to complete the clearing of your water.

Welcome to TFP!

It would be a huge help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. An overnight FC loss test would tell us exactly what is going on, but it requires a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

It is quite possible that your conversion is simply taking longer than most, it is also possible, as gsmornot suspects, that your CYA level is affecting things, it is also possible that you have a little iron or copper in the water (though much less likely given what you said).

My wife added some clarifier on Sunday and the water is really starting to clear up at the risk of really sounding stupid do you think that dirt and grit in the water could be giving off the green apperance? Let me add when the local fire co. filled it up the water was really milky and had alot of sediment in it I didn't complain because they filled it for a donation. I can't vacuum to waste with my pump so I've been trying to vac through the filter and the really fine stuff seems to get past any suggestions other than clarifier? Thanks

The water will clear up given time and if you clean your filter as needed. It can easily take the filter a week or two to clean things up. If it has been more then two weeks it might be time to start exploring other approaches. The green is very likely from the conversion, though there are other less likely possibilities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.