Still a newbie

Deez

Jun 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Well I started off with a green pool. It is now in swimming condition. However, the FC levels will drop 4-5 ppm per day. I don't think its sunlight doing the damage because my CYA is fairly high. Any suggestions?

FC 1.5 (but I just added more)
TC 1.5
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 270
CYA 60

Also, I have noticed that some of the return 'eyeballs' in my pool aren't aimed for the best circulation. Mainly the one closest to the skimmer. It's aimed towards the surface which knocks all of the floating stuff away away from the skimmer. So I tried to aim it down lower and it seems pretty well stuck. From what I've found here and other places on the web, they should be pretty easy to adjust. Just wondering if anybody can offer some advice on how to adjust and/or replace these returns. Here are some pictures, the second one has some tabs that look like a special tool is used to turn it and 2 of the 3 returns in my pool have those tabs.

p1010022d.jpg

p1010024p.jpg

I stuck a screwdriver in mine to get it to move. Wasn't my favorite tool of choice but it was all I could think of at the moment and it worked. Something made of plastic or wood might be better.

deez said:
Well I started off with a green pool. It is now in swimming condition. However, the FC levels will drop 4-5 ppm per day. I don't think its sunlight doing the damage because my CYA is fairly high. Any suggestions?

FC 1.5 (but I just added more)
TC 1.5
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 270
CYA 60
You should do an overnight test. This will let you know if you have organics in your water.

With a CYA of 60 (not really high for Phoenix) your minimum FC level is 5 and your target FC is 7 to 9. So your FC should NEVER drop below 5.

Check out the Chlorine/CYA Chart (in my sig & Pool School) to help understand the relationship.

Deez, Butterfly is right. You may not be quite done shocking to get rid of all algae.

Also, how long are you running your pump now? The temps in Phoenix are now running well over 100 to 109, and IMO you may need to run your pump between 10 to 12 hours, daily.

Yeah, I think I'll go back to shocking for awhile until I don't lose all the free chlorine over night.

My pump is going around 14 hrs a day.

Also, since I posted about those returns. Is there some easy way to connect a pvc pipe to those outlets, with or without removing the eyeball? The pool water is around 88 and getting too warm for my liking. I've seen some creative evaporator setups that I would like to try. I'm pretty handy with the actual pvc work (i.e. potato guns) but not with connecting them to a pool.

And yet another tangent, my pool does have a built in aerator, but the ball valve handle is broken and I can't get it to turn any suggestions on that? Sorry for so many different questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.