TFP's Water Balance for SWG's versus Intex Pool Rec.'s

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
Muskegon, Michigan
Here are my current readings:

FC 7.0 (this little guy just doesn't come down. My Intex manual recommends running my pump/swg combo. for 6 hours a day and I'm down to 4 now--yet the FC is still high! The Intex SWG cannot be adjusted percentage wise--it is either On or Off)
CC .5
TC 7.5
pH 7.5
T/A 120 (Based upon the pool calc.'s rec.s, I am attempting to lower ph tonight with 16oz.'s of muratic acid so I can get this number down some)
CH 110
CYA 50 (I've been working on this one! Started with zero, climbing slowly...)
SALT 3,520 ppm

Here is my confusion:

Under the "Water Balance for SWG's" section of this site, TCP recommendations are as follows [In BLUE]. IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING IN ALL CAP.S/RED IS INTEX'S RECOMMENDATION:

FC 3-5 ppm (8 hour run time or more) INTEX RECOMMENDS: 1-3PPM
PH 7.5-7.8 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 7.4-7.6
TA 60-90 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 100-140PPM
CH (for vinyl) 50 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 200-400PPM
CYA usually 70-80 (some manufacturer's recommend up to 100 ppm) INTEX RECOMMENDS: 30-50PPMSalt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommened optimum level

The biggest areas of confusion, for me, are:

FC 3-5 vs. 1-3 (mine is 7 right now, that's really high according to Intex in particular)
PH is pretty close either way and mine (7.5) fits into either recommendation
TA 60-90 vs. 100-140 (this is a pretty big difference; my reading of 120 is fine according to Intex but according to TFP is quite a bit high
CH 50 vs. 200-400 WOW, big difference here. Again, I'm fine with Intex, but with TFP I'm fairly high at 110.
CYA 70-80 vs. 30-50 (Again, with Intex my 50 is as high as I should go, while with TFP, I'm not there yet.
Salt: Intex recommends 2,500-3,000 with 3,000 being optimal and TFP recommends 200-400 above recommended. Since I am at 3,520, I'm high for the Intex rec. and real close to the +400 mark recommended by TFP

Thus, you can see my confusion....should I just abandon the rec's by Intex and go with TFP? The TA, CH and CYA comparisons are quite wide....

This is my second year w/ an Intex SWG, and the only thing I follow from the Intex recommendation is the salt level. Everything else, I follow the recommendations from here, and it's worked great.

Best I can recall, I had mine set for 2 or 3 hours a day last year, and it maintained my FC beautifully. I was suprised as well that running it that short of a time was all that was required. BTW, setting the run time is the same as setting a percentage. 23 hours = 100%, 4 hours = 17%.

MikeInTN said:
This is my second year w/ an Intex SWG, and the only thing I follow from the Intex recommendation is the salt level. Everything else, I follow the recommendations from here, and it's worked great.

Best I can recall, I had mine set for 2 or 3 hours a day last year, and it maintained my FC beautifully. I was suprised as well that running it that short of a time was all that was required. BTW, setting the run time is the same as setting a percentage. 23 hours = 100%, 4 hours = 17%.
Wow! I kept hearing this thing about "percentage" on the forums here and I assumed that must've meant you could adjust the salt output! Good to know it is simply a matter of time.

frustratedpoolmom said:
So your unit is a combo? Can the pump/filter still run if the swg part is off? I'm just wondering if your getting enough filtration from 4 hours?
Yes, it a combo, but the filter/pump can be run seperately. I have been thinking the same thing...as late night I only ran the SWG for 3 hours because of the continued high FC's. This A.M. I went out and just turned on the pump.

How do you know if you are running a pump long enough. I see in the "Water Balance for SWG's" here on TFP's site, they recommnend 8 hours per day. I am nowhere near that right now.

Additionally, can you run the pump and/or SWG WITH the solar cover on?

Sounds like a good plan.

For the skimmer, I just sort of flip or bend the solar cover back around that area. It remains there pretty well actually.

For the water coming back in, I leave the solar cover right over that and up the edge as the water goes back in underneath.

I just wasn't sure if you would get the same kind of circulation as compared to taking the cover off while running the filter/pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.