Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP's Water Balance for SWG's versus Intex Pool Rec.'s

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP's Water Balance for SWG's versus Intex Pool Rec.'s

Here are my current readings:

FC 7.0 (this little guy just doesn't come down. My Intex manual recommends running my pump/swg combo. for 6 hours a day and I'm down to 4 now--yet the FC is still high! The Intex SWG cannot be adjusted percentage wise--it is either On or Off)
    CC .5
    TC 7.5
    pH 7.5
    T/A 120 (Based upon the pool calc.'s rec.s, I am attempting to lower ph tonight with 16oz.'s of muratic acid so I can get this number down some)
    CH 110
    CYA 50 (I've been working on this one! Started with zero, climbing slowly...)
    SALT 3,520 ppm

Here is my confusion:

Under the "Water Balance for SWG's" section of this site, TCP recommendations are as follows [In BLUE]. IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING IN ALL CAP.S/RED IS INTEX'S RECOMMENDATION:

FC 3-5 ppm (8 hour run time or more) INTEX RECOMMENDS: 1-3PPM
    PH 7.5-7.8 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 7.4-7.6
    TA 60-90 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 100-140PPM
    CH (for vinyl) 50 INTEX RECOMMENDS: 200-400PPM
    CYA usually 70-80 (some manufacturer's recommend up to 100 ppm) INTEX RECOMMENDS: 30-50PPMSalt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommened optimum level

The biggest areas of confusion, for me, are:

FC 3-5 vs. 1-3 (mine is 7 right now, that's really high according to Intex in particular)
    PH is pretty close either way and mine (7.5) fits into either recommendation
    TA 60-90 vs. 100-140 (this is a pretty big difference; my reading of 120 is fine according to Intex but according to TFP is quite a bit high
    CH 50 vs. 200-400 WOW, big difference here. Again, I'm fine with Intex, but with TFP I'm fairly high at 110.
    CYA 70-80 vs. 30-50 (Again, with Intex my 50 is as high as I should go, while with TFP, I'm not there yet.
    Salt: Intex recommends 2,500-3,000 with 3,000 being optimal and TFP recommends 200-400 above recommended. Since I am at 3,520, I'm high for the Intex rec. and real close to the +400 mark recommended by TFP

Thus, you can see my confusion....should I just abandon the rec's by Intex and go with TFP? The TA, CH and CYA comparisons are quite wide....
    Pool Size/Type: 12' x 24' x 52" Intex AG Rectangular Pool
    8,400 gallons
    Filter Type: SWG combined with a 2,000 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP's Water Balance for SWG's versus Intex Pool Rec.'s

Yes, we know what we are talking about. Ultimately you need to decide if you are going to trust us or them.

If you want to know the reasoning behind some of our recommendations, take a look at this article.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

This is my second year w/ an Intex SWG, and the only thing I follow from the Intex recommendation is the salt level. Everything else, I follow the recommendations from here, and it's worked great.

Best I can recall, I had mine set for 2 or 3 hours a day last year, and it maintained my FC beautifully. I was suprised as well that running it that short of a time was all that was required. BTW, setting the run time is the same as setting a percentage. 23 hours = 100%, 4 hours = 17%.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

So your unit is a combo? Can the pump/filter still run if the swg part is off? I'm just wondering if your getting enough filtration from 4 hours?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    This is my second year w/ an Intex SWG, and the only thing I follow from the Intex recommendation is the salt level. Everything else, I follow the recommendations from here, and it's worked great.

Best I can recall, I had mine set for 2 or 3 hours a day last year, and it maintained my FC beautifully. I was suprised as well that running it that short of a time was all that was required. BTW, setting the run time is the same as setting a percentage. 23 hours = 100%, 4 hours = 17%.
    Wow! I kept hearing this thing about "percentage" on the forums here and I assumed that must've meant you could adjust the salt output! Good to know it is simply a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    So your unit is a combo? Can the pump/filter still run if the swg part is off? I'm just wondering if your getting enough filtration from 4 hours?
    Yes, it a combo, but the filter/pump can be run seperately. I have been thinking the same thing...as late night I only ran the SWG for 3 hours because of the continued high FC's. This A.M. I went out and just turned on the pump.

How do you know if you are running a pump long enough. I see in the "Water Balance for SWG's" here on TFP's site, they recommnend 8 hours per day. I am nowhere near that right now.

Additionally, can you run the pump and/or SWG WITH the solar cover on?
    8,400 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I do, but I'm not sure with your pool how your set up is, if it would block your skimmer, etc.

I would run your filter 8 hours and just the swg part for 2 or 3 till you find your ideal time.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a good plan.

For the skimmer, I just sort of flip or bend the solar cover back around that area. It remains there pretty well actually.

For the water coming back in, I leave the solar cover right over that and up the edge as the water goes back in underneath.

I just wasn't sure if you would get the same kind of circulation as compared to taking the cover off while running the filter/pump.
    8,400 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I do have a bottom drain, so I do get pretty good filtration/circulation that way too....