What have I done wrong?

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I tested my water this afternoon and my pH was low at 7. I pulled up the pool calc. and saw that I needed 155 oz of Borax to get my pH to 7.5. Since all I had was one box, I saw that, according to the pool calc. that would get my pH to 7.2 (good enough for now). So, I put that in. Guess what....now my pH is at least 8 and probably higher. My full set of numbers is:

CYA 60
FC 9
CC 0
pH 8 (or more)
CH 80

Do I deal with this tonight or wait and see what the pH is in the morning? Should I go ahead and turn on my pump and get out the muratic acid and add a couple of cups (well, 30 oz according to the pool calc.)

TIA,
Pam

For 22k gallons, TA 100, Borates 0, I also get 155 oz borax to raise pH from 7.0 to 7.5. You listed everything except TA... If I set TA to 70, then it says 115 oz.

For 76 oz (that's how big my box is) to raise 7.0 to 8.0, TA would have to be around 30, it says.

Conceivably the borax wasn't fully mixed when you tested and you hit a hot spot when you took your sample. (How long did you wait after adding borax to do your test? Pump was on, yes?) Otherwise either the TA is really low or something weird happened.

I sure hope you're not still up at this hour. Test again in the morning, do some acid if the ph is still high, and I sure would be curious to know what the TA is.
--paulr

It is important to know your TA level, and Borate level if you use Borates, and enter them into my Pool Calculator before calculating PH changes. If you have the wrong TA level entered in the Now column you will get incorrect results.

TA level is 110. I just rechecked my pH and it is still reading 8.0 (+). I added some acid last night (about a cup) and I just added another cup. I'm going to recheck in a couple of hours.

How long should I wait for the Muratic acid to mix in before we can swim?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.