Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What have I done wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

What have I done wrong?

I tested my water this afternoon and my pH was low at 7. I pulled up the pool calc. and saw that I needed 155 oz of Borax to get my pH to 7.5. Since all I had was one box, I saw that, according to the pool calc. that would get my pH to 7.2 (good enough for now). So, I put that in. Guess what....now my pH is at least 8 and probably higher. My full set of numbers is:

CYA 60
    FC 9
    CC 0
    pH 8 (or more)
    CH 80

Do I deal with this tonight or wait and see what the pH is in the morning? Should I go ahead and turn on my pump and get out the muratic acid and add a couple of cups (well, 30 oz according to the pool calc.)

TIA,
    Pam
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What have I done wrong?

For 22k gallons, TA 100, Borates 0, I also get 155 oz borax to raise pH from 7.0 to 7.5. You listed everything except TA... If I set TA to 70, then it says 115 oz.

For 76 oz (that's how big my box is) to raise 7.0 to 8.0, TA would have to be around 30, it says.

Conceivably the borax wasn't fully mixed when you tested and you hit a hot spot when you took your sample. (How long did you wait after adding borax to do your test? Pump was on, yes?) Otherwise either the TA is really low or something weird happened.

I sure hope you're not still up at this hour. Test again in the morning, do some acid if the ph is still high, and I sure would be curious to know what the TA is.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

At high FC, pH testing is not accurate and tends to give higher levels than the true ones. Happened to me too.
    You can shoot for FC 5 (minimum level for CYA 90 by the table) and then retest your pH.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is important to know your TA level, and Borate level if you use Borates, and enter them into my Pool Calculator before calculating PH changes. If you have the wrong TA level entered in the Now column you will get incorrect results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TA level is 110. I just rechecked my pH and it is still reading 8.0 (+). I added some acid last night (about a cup) and I just added another cup. I'm going to recheck in a couple of hours.

How long should I wait for the Muratic acid to mix in before we can swim?
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Wait about 30 minutes, with the pump running, before swimming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School