A few questions for the experts PLZ

Jun 25, 2009
I have a 39,000 pool that is 12 years old. The filter system is looking very tired but is still holding up. Currently I have a 1 HP primary pump, 3/4 HP aux pump, and looks like about a 250 lb. Hayward Sand Filter with American Products Multiport on top of the sand filter running thru 1 1/2" supply lines at 19 psi.

I know my Multiport is shot (leaks badly even after replacing spyder), my chlorinator is leaking and worthless, and my 3 port valve is shot (handle cracked off). My question is, how can I tell if my sand filter needs replacement ??

I am considering replacing the filter and multiport, what do you think of Pentair?? Which filter do you recommend??

THANKS

I'm no expert, but I believe the goal is to get two turnovers of the water each day, and a 250lb filter seems pretty small for such a large pool (39K). On the Hayward site, their largest filter is listed at 58,800 gallons in 10 hours.

So based on size, you may see better efficiency with a larger filter, not having to run the pump as much. Some of the larger filters may require 2" pipe instead of 1.5" though.

Thanks for the reply, I am absorbing as much as I can reading thru this forum and I am coming to the same conclusion as you. Unfortunately, 230 V pumps are not possible without a huge cost to run new lines out to the pool thru the house , under hill, over dale, etc. Also, the original builders of the pool used 1 1/2" lines all over so switching to 2" pipes would require digging up the pool. So, I have to use 115V pumps (which limits me to 1 HP) and do the best with 1 1/2" pipes. What do you think of a Triton II TR100 with Whisperflo 1 HP ?? Thanks :-D

You can save a great deal of money on electricity by going with a two speed pump. Your choices are limited at 115 volts however. The 3/4 HP Full rated dual speed Whisperflo might be a good choice. It should give you around 2.5 turns a day at high speed and be very efficient on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.