Self installation

Jun 25, 2009
My family and I are wanting to put in an above ground pool as cheaply as we can. I am handy around the house and have built several things. I am wondering if a used above ground pool system is a good value if I buy a new liner or perhaps a new one from a place like Wal Mart? I am thinking mabye a 24-27 foot pool. I can build a deck around it.

Are they hard to install? Thanks for your help!

if you have perfectly level ground then yes, DIY....

With me on the other hand, my ground wasn't level and I spent almost 2 months attempting to level it myself, which, I still didn't get it perfectly level, but its one of those $300 cheapies from Wal-mart. When the time comes to get a "real" pool, I will definitely hire a pool builder to at least level the ground...

There are quite a few people here who installed AG pools. The devil is in the details, site prep. would be time well spent. Friends/family to help when putting it up. Check your local building codes for AG pools.

The area where the pool is going to sit needs to be both level (does not slope from one side to the other) and flat (no rises or dips).

The Intex pools are specifically designed to be easy to set up. I don't know how they compare to "regular" pools w.r.t. sturdiness or whatever. People do seem to complain that the filters are undersized.
--paulr

I bought a used 21 foot AG pool and am very happy with it. Just make sure that everything is in good shape before buying, including the pump and filter and make sure all the parts are there. I dismantled the one I bought and that helped alot to figure out how it's put together. I had some issues with my filter and had to replace some parts, but it still ended up being way cheaper than new. Keep in mind that the pool itself is not the only expense. You'll spend some money on site prep and things like sand, patio blocks or pads. Mine included all the lumber from the guys deck, so I built a deck so that the kids can jump in, I think a deck makes the pool much more enjoyable. Also, a couple of neighbors have the easy set Intex pools and I MUCH prefer my pool to theirs.

I leveled the area myself and it can be a lot of work. I also dug the middle about 6 inches deeper and am happy with how that turned out. Take your time with site prep and make sure it's done right. My pool is level but I am not happy with the bottom. There are lots of spots where I can feel footprints in the sand from installing my liner. Apparently you can install it without going into the pool. I rushed too much because it was getting late. Doesn't really affect the use of the pool at all, just a bit harder to clean and annoys me. Read lots and take the time to do it right.

Then follow the advice on this forum on how to maintain it.

What do I look for as to whther the pool is in good shape? I found a Ester WIlliams? with everythign included for 600 dollars. Is this a good buy.

I figured I woudl build a deck around it.

My site "looks" fairly level. I have an old 8n tractor and figured I could rent a box scrapper.

How did you level your lot and why the 6 inches deeper in the middle?

stryped said:
My site "looks" fairly level.
Use a real level. There was a guy who said he eyeballed it pretty well but off a couple inches across 15', and his pool started to creep. Now that was an EasySet which has no frame, but still--you don't want to stress your frame unnecessarily.
--paulr

stryped said:
What do I look for as to whther the pool is in good shape? I found a Ester WIlliams? with everythign included for 600 dollars. Is this a good buy.

I figured I woudl build a deck around it.

My site "looks" fairly level. I have an old 8n tractor and figured I could rent a box scrapper.

How did you level your lot and why the 6 inches deeper in the middle?

I don't know much about different brands. I just made sure that the walls and tracks looked good with no corrosion. If the pool has been in use recently then I think chances are good that the pump and filter are in working condition. I think you always take a chance buying used, but if you go to the home of the seller you can usually tell if the things they own are well maintained.

I used a water level (http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm), it worked well and was accurate. I excavated by hand with a shovel and had to dig down about 8 - 10" on the high side. I probably moved 2 or 3 yards of dirt. Took me a couple of weeks of working at it here and there.

I had heard of other people digging the middle a bit deeper and liked the idea of having some more depth, so I tried it and am glad I did.

Yes, you want your patio blocks to be level, and dug into the ground so that the tops of the blocks are level with the ground. The rest of the area should be level and straight as well, unless you are digging the middle deeper like mine. The more time you spend on this prep work the happier you will be later.

IMO, it's not worth trying to use a used liner, plan to buy a new one.

Good luck.

I used a 4 ft level when I did my above ground. I placed all my pavers in the ground and leveled off of them on all corners of the pavers so I was sure to be level. I also leveled my sand bottom in 4x4' sections like this, leveling in all directons.

I spent weeks prepping the ground for the pool. More time was spent there than the install of the pool.

I had also put my sand in and leveled it before I put the walls up. I hand packed and watered the sand to where I could gently walk on it with shoes on and not sink. Water the sand is the key though in my experience. When I put the walls up, I used the pool box <cut up> to walk on and a sheet of ply wood on the inside of the pool to set the wall on while unrolling it and then fixed and loose sand once the pool was bolted together. My pool bottom is flat and that's okay with me. 8)

It's alot of work but site prep is the most important :!:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just found out this pool is 14 years old. It is a 24 foot with everythign for 600 dollars. She said it is Esther Williams carousel model in excellent condition. ANyone know anything baout this pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.