Mustard Algae!

Cherie said:
We had that exact cleaner last summer, but only used it a handful of times before the end of season. If you don't put the hose to a return jet to blow out all the air before plugging it into the dedicated suction (or into your skimmer), then the returns will blow air bubbles. But they'll go away eventually. Do your bubbles keep blowing the whole time the cleaner is running?

It also doesn't sound like this is your only problem though. So I'm just speculating.

Thanks for your help--but my fiance does put the hose up to the return line before plugging it into the skimmer, and yes--there are small air bubbles that come out of the return lines the entire time the Barracuda is connected. I think it's a problem with the hose--we are going to examine it better as soon as possible! :)

Okay...quick update.

Water is still coming out from beneath the sand filter. It's a slow leak--nothing major--but I am still worried about it. I am supposed to call the pool tech this morning to tell him how everything is (he told me to call him to see if the pool cleared up..he said if it didn't--then the filter was probably messed up--well, it hasn't)--so I am going to tell him that we have water leaking from underneath the filter and hopefully he will come back out and look at it and replace/repair it (he is somewhat lazy).

I also noticed a funny clicking type of noise coming from the valve that you switch from filter/backwash/recirculate. I know it's not normal--but I wonder what would cause that valve to make such a funny noise.

I don't know whether to mention the issue we have had with the barracuda. I think I will. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the hose, and not the plumbing, and if it is the plumbing, I hope it is above ground!!!!

So my problems are:
1. Leaking sand filter (hopefully tech will fix tomorrow)
2. Noisy valve (will also mention to tech tomorrow)
3. Possible suction side leak (will maybe mention to tech tomorrow)
4. Mustard Algae

After I get this equipment fixed--and get my test kit in--I have a good feeling my pool is going to look great! :mrgreen:

It's thundering outside--guess we are getting some rain this early morning!

Pool tech never showed. I am very annoyed about that--if they don't show tomorrow, I am calling my home warranty people back to see if they can send someone else.

How much more liquid chlorine do you guys suggest I put in this evening (after brushing)? I can see the bottom of the shallow end, but the deep end is still very cloudy and greenish in color. In the deep end, I can see mustard algae on the sides of the pool (which I will brush off again before I add any bleach).

The TF-100 has not arrived yet. :( I ordered it on June 25th (late)--so I know it's going to take a few more days to get here!

Update!

The pool guy came out and said that the water under our sand filter was due to the high temperature outside (92-100 degrees) and condensation. Is this possible? He didn't seem concerned at all with any of me equipment--he came--stayed 1 minute--and left.

Now, for the good news!!! The TF-100 Kit arrived today! :mrgreen:

Here are my results:

FC - 53.5 (this is NOT a joke. I was about to give up counting drops--when it turned clear after I added 107 drops! :shock: )
CC - 0.0 (I would like to repeat this entire chlorine test--but I am fairly certain I had no CC)
TC - 53.5
Alk - 190
CH - 500
PH - 7.8
Chlorine (using Taylor BASIC kit)--it was orange--it was "off the charts"
CYA - 100 (?--this was the only test I am a little unsure of--but at the pool store on 06/25/09 they had my CYA at 75--so I bet it is around 100--I am going to have my fiance do this test again later this evening).

What are your recommendations?

I know that PH is high--but high chlorine causes it to read high correct?

Pool looks a little better--but is still super cloudy!?

Thanks for your help! :-D

Condensation is possible if the air is humid and the pool water is significantly cooler than the air temperature. I usually only see condensation in the spring and fall, when the water is quite cool. But my climate is very different than yours.

When you do the CYA test again, mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test with that, and multiply the result by two. That will be less precise, but can tell you if the CYA level is actually around 100 or if it is much higher than 100.

When FC is way high, the PH will read way higher than it actually is. So, your PH is actually too low. You want to raise the PH till it reads 8.2 (assuming the FC level remains above 30).

Thank you so much Jason!

I will test CYA again in a few hours (when fiance gets home) and follow your suggestions.

I will also test the FC again this evening--and if it holds above 30--I will add 6.3 oz of borax (according the pool calculator) to raise my Ph! (I think I did that correctly)!

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Condensation is possible if the air is humid and the pool water is significantly cooler than the air temperature. I usually only see condensation in the spring and fall, when the water is quite cool. But my climate is very different than yours.

When you do the CYA test again, mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test with that, and multiply the result by two. That will be less precise, but can tell you if the CYA level is actually around 100 or if it is much higher than 100.

When FC is way high, the PH will read way higher than it actually is. So, your PH is actually too low. You want to raise the PH till it reads 8.2 (assuming the FC level remains above 30).

With 1/2 tap water and 1/2 pool water the CYA was at 45.

My fiance did the test and came up with CYA = 100 as well.

Any suggestions?

I will add borax tonight after I brush pool.

I will check FC level again to make sure it is within the Mustard Algae Shock Level for my CYA of 100.

If it is not, I will add more bleach and then retest my FC level before bed....Then, I will retest the FC level before the sun comes out tomorrow.

Anything else I should do?

:bump:

well that's what I thought I needed to do....AND...I did the Free Chlorine test wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I filled up the entire tube---not just to the 10ml line--no wonder my Free Chlorine level is so high.

Edit to add - I can't believe it! I teach 5th grade and can't even read direction properly--that's typical I guess!! :lol: :oops:

I am going to redo the free chlorine now.

How much of my pool do you recommend I drain?

Okay, read thru the whole thread.

Your CYA is too high, and you just learned this since you got the kit.

The best thing for you to do now, is drain and refill, in phases if necessary to prevent damaging the pool. I would drain 40%-50% of your water and refill. This should get your CYA to a more manageable level. It's usually safe to drain down 1/3 without harming the liner.

Trying to defeat Mustard Algae (if that's what that is) with a CYA that high is simply not practical and it's way too much money spent on bleach. I'd just do the drain/refill dance and get the CYA to a more reasonable number.

Then tackle the algae.

Okay--thank you!

We will start draining this evening.

I just got done testing properly for FC and CC now--I wasted so much reagent--but that's okay. I am a total newbie--and I know this will get easier with practice.

My FC is 15
CC is 0 for sure...

We will drain tonight and then refill tomorrow morning--then I will rerun all tests--especially CYA and go from there.

Thank you!

I knew the CYA was my problem!

Another update.

We drained our pool down to right below the returns--and then refilled. I was afraid to drain any more than that, because I do not want to ruin the liner, which was installed in 2005.

I tested the CYA now and it is STILL at 90-100.

Is this normal?

Should we keep draining the same amount until the CYA drops--and what should our goal CYA be? 50?

**One other quick question--do you all recommend I take a sample up to the pool store and have them test the CYA? I am sure my testing kit is 10x more reliable--but just thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks! :-D

Don't bother with the pool store, they are useless IMHO.

Yes it's normal.

Drain down again, a few inches below the skimmer is fine if you're worried, and refill. Recirculate, retest.

If you shoot for 60 on the CYA you'll be fine, it will slowly lower thru backwashing your sand filter. You can manage with 60 for a short time. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Don't bother with the pool store, they are useless IMHO.

Yes it's normal.

Drain down again, a few inches below the skimmer is fine if you're worried, and refill. Recirculate, retest.

If you shoot for 60 on the CYA you'll be fine, it will slowly lower thru backwashing your sand filter. You can manage with 60 for a short time. :wink:

I would be thrilled if I could get the CYA down to 60!! Do you have any estimate of how many drains (if we just drain to right below the returns) it will take to get us that low?

I put in a small jug of bleach last night as it was filling--should I do that again this evening?

I know that my first priority should be lowering the CYA--and then use my new CYA number and shock it at the mustard algae level (using the chart). Water is still super cloudy--but it's not NEAR as green as it was last Thursday and Friday---it's more blue-green now.

So, is putting in a little bleach pointless? I just don't want my FC to fall too low..

Thanks again for your help frustrated pool mom. I see you had the same problem I did back in 2007.

I really want to drain more of the pool--but we can not afford to replace the liner at this time, so I don't want to do anything that could harm it.

I'm really trying to have POP--but it's hard. I just hope we only have to drain 1-2 more times max. :)

Rubygrrl said:
[
I would be thrilled if I could get the CYA down to 60!! Do you have any estimate of how many drains (if we just drain to right below the returns) it will take to get us that low?

I put in a small jug of bleach last night as it was filling--should I do that again this evening?

I know that my first priority should be lowering the CYA--and then use my new CYA number and shock it at the mustard algae level (using the chart). Water is still super cloudy--but it's not NEAR as green as it was last Thursday and Friday---it's more blue-green now.

So, is putting in a little bleach pointless? I just don't want my FC to fall too low..

Thanks again for your help frustrated pool mom. I see you had the same problem I did back in 2007.

I really want to drain more of the pool--but we can not afford to replace the liner at this time, so I don't want to do anything that could harm it.

I'm really trying to have POP--but it's hard. I just hope we only have to drain 1-2 more times max. :)

Someone smarter than me that's a wiz at percentages knows how many partial drains it would take, but he's out travelling the world. Maybe someone else will offer up their knowledge. How far down is the return? I would guess 2 more times max if it's 8 inches or so. Total Guess. :oops:

Yeah, kinda pointless, but it can't hurt. (adding a little more bleach)

Can I make a suggestion? Try shocking to the "normal" shock level, not necessarily Mustard Algae level after you get the CYA down. Just try and see if it responds to normal shock levels. I think it will, but I could be wrong. Frequent, very-high shock levels for prolonged periods can bleach out your liner.

So stick to the regular shock level when the time comes, for a couple of days...see how the pool responds. I'm not convinced that's mustard algae.

I know it's hard, been there, done that....you'll be FINE! :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.