Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: please help

1. Back To Top    #1

please help

Hello, hoping someone can help. We bought a 4000 gallon intex pool four weeks ago. We filled with well water with high Iron. We purchased an $80. hose filter prior to filling the pool the second time. As the pool was filling the water was turning green then brown. We put Metal control in and the water cleared from very brown to a light green tint. I was told not to add any chlorine until 3 full days after I added metal control. I waited the 3 days and the water was still slightly green. After adding chlorine the water turned a little darker green. Waiting the additional 4 days as I was told then shocked the pool. The shock turned the water back to the coffee brown. I have been cleaning out the filter and the pool is still very brown. We have had very little sun in the past few weeks here in MA (luckily because I have a brown pool) but I am not sure if all the rain is not helping my cause. Any suggestions????

Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: please help

Welcome to TFP!

You need more metal sequestrant and a full set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

Re: please help

If the filter is catching the brown stuff, then being industrious about cleaning the filter will likely help. We had somebody with a brown spa not long ago, as I recall it took about a week but the brown cleared up finally.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page