Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a sticky on chems??

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a sticky on chems??

I'm starting up a new pool and am needing to do 2-3 different things to my water. I was wondering if there is somewhere on here that tells what chems you shouldn't add together. I pretty much know what I need to add, just didn't want anything to meet together in the water and not like each other

Thanks
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a sticky on chems??

I thought there was, but cannot seem to locate it.

A safe bet would be to wait an hour with the pump running between each addition.

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Chemicals one might add to a pool:

Chlorine
    Acid
    Baking Soda
    Borax

Acid pretty much does not mix well with any of the other three in high concentrations so don't ever mix different chemicals in a bucket or other small volume. However, in a pool, chemicals dilute very quickly so there shouldn't be an issue adding chemicals one after another but if you really want to be safe, always add acid on the other side of the pool. But really, you should never need/want to add acid with Baking Soda or Borax (counter productive) so the only real issue is acid with chlorine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. What about calcium chloride??? My CH is very low. 80 and should be around 250 for FG pool, I think.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

To be completely safe it is best to add CH only on a day when you aren't adding anything else (except the routine chlorine dose).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    To be completely safe it is best to add CH only on a day when you aren't adding anything else (except the routine chlorine dose).
    Thanks Jason. I believe FPMom told me the same thing
    Lynn