Adding CYA & Chlorine to Intex Pool

May 14, 2009
Tennessee
Split fromhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/sett ... 14022.html Butterfly

PaulR said:
In a typical pool you would buy stabilizer (cyanuric acid) at the pool store; for 2500 gal you only need about 1/2 lb so I think you'd have a lot left over.

My personal opinion is that these teeny pools should be handled more like an oversize spa; that is, use dichlor as the chlorine source initially, until the CYA from the dichlor has built up enough, and then switch to bleach. For 2500 gal that would be about 1.5 lbs dichlor, which would probably take 2-3 weeks to use up.
--paulr

i have an intex metal frame 5300 gallon pool.....so do you think that i should treat it as an oversize spa??? :(

Re: Setting Up Intex Pool, Need Help

jeffcessna said:
PaulR said:
In a typical pool you would buy stabilizer (cyanuric acid) at the pool store; for 2500 gal you only need about 1/2 lb so I think you'd have a lot left over.

My personal opinion is that these teeny pools should be handled more like an oversize spa; that is, use dichlor as the chlorine source initially, until the CYA from the dichlor has built up enough, and then switch to bleach. For 2500 gal that would be about 1.5 lbs dichlor, which would probably take 2-3 weeks to use up.
--paulr

i have an intex metal frame 5300 gallon pool.....so do you think that i should treat it as an oversize spa??? :(

He's just saying to use dichlor to chlorinate, which will also build your CYA levels. This is as an alternative to buying stabilizer, since you don't need as much and usually it is sold in large jugs. Once your CYA is in range, stop using dichlor and start using bleach.

this is my second year with an intex metal frame pool....it has been great (until we get an AG or IG)....i did go to the BBB method this year and it has been sooooo much easier...i really wish i could get a better test kit though.....cant convince my better half that we need it.....oh well..... Stick with the BBB method and you wont be disappointed.

frustratedpoolmom said:
jeffcessna said:
PaulR said:

--paulr

He's just saying to use dichlor to chlorinate, which will also build your CYA levels. This is as an alternative to buying stabilizer, since you don't need as much and usually it is sold in large jugs. Once your CYA is in range, stop using dichlor and start using bleach.

that does make a lot of sense....guess thats why im a newbie....LOL

frustratedpoolmom said:
jeffcessna said:
PaulR said:

--paulr

Exactly. I might better have said to handle it chemically like a spa; I don't mean add heater and jets!

The real point is that with a small volume it's probably not worth getting CYA separately. You'd only need about 1/2 lb, and it comes in containers of 3-4 lb, so one container would last up to 8 seasons :shock: I haven't done a cost analysis, it's more an intuition about the amount of effort. These things are specifically intended to be quick to set up, so a lower-hassle method of building up CYA seemed like the right approach.

5300 feels like it would be in kind of a gray zone. Now you're talking about 1.5-2 lb of CYA, and it becomes more worthwhile to do it separately. As in, one bucket of CYA is enough for about two seasons. That's where a cost comparison would probably make the difference.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.