Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA & Chlorine to Intex Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA & Chlorine to Intex Pool

Split fromhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/sett ... 14022.html Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    In a typical pool you would buy stabilizer (cyanuric acid) at the pool store; for 2500 gal you only need about 1/2 lb so I think you'd have a lot left over.

My personal opinion is that these teeny pools should be handled more like an oversize spa; that is, use dichlor as the chlorine source initially, until the CYA from the dichlor has built up enough, and then switch to bleach. For 2500 gal that would be about 1.5 lbs dichlor, which would probably take 2-3 weeks to use up.
    --paulr
    i have an intex metal frame 5300 gallon pool.....so do you think that i should treat it as an oversize spa???
    Intex 20' metal Ultra Frame round 9400 gal, standard 1500 gal/hr Intex cartridge, K-2005 Test Kit, AG, vinyl -- my practice pool until we can get a real AG or IG....:)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Setting Up Intex Pool, Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcessna
    In a typical pool you would buy stabilizer (cyanuric acid) at the pool store; for 2500 gal you only need about 1/2 lb so I think you'd have a lot left over.

My personal opinion is that these teeny pools should be handled more like an oversize spa; that is, use dichlor as the chlorine source initially, until the CYA from the dichlor has built up enough, and then switch to bleach. For 2500 gal that would be about 1.5 lbs dichlor, which would probably take 2-3 weeks to use up.
    --paulr
    i have an intex metal frame 5300 gallon pool.....so do you think that i should treat it as an oversize spa???
    He's just saying to use dichlor to chlorinate, which will also build your CYA levels. This is as an alternative to buying stabilizer, since you don't need as much and usually it is sold in large jugs. Once your CYA is in range, stop using dichlor and start using bleach.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

this is my second year with an intex metal frame pool....it has been great (until we get an AG or IG)....i did go to the BBB method this year and it has been sooooo much easier...i really wish i could get a better test kit though.....cant convince my better half that we need it.....oh well..... Stick with the BBB method and you wont be disappointed.
    Intex 20' metal Ultra Frame round 9400 gal, standard 1500 gal/hr Intex cartridge, K-2005 Test Kit, AG, vinyl -- my practice pool until we can get a real AG or IG....:)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom

--paulr
    He's just saying to use dichlor to chlorinate, which will also build your CYA levels. This is as an alternative to buying stabilizer, since you don't need as much and usually it is sold in large jugs. Once your CYA is in range, stop using dichlor and start using bleach.

that does make a lot of sense....guess thats why im a newbie....LOL

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom

--paulr
    Exactly. I might better have said to handle it chemically like a spa; I don't mean add heater and jets!

The real point is that with a small volume it's probably not worth getting CYA separately. You'd only need about 1/2 lb, and it comes in containers of 3-4 lb, so one container would last up to 8 seasons I haven't done a cost analysis, it's more an intuition about the amount of effort. These things are specifically intended to be quick to set up, so a lower-hassle method of building up CYA seemed like the right approach.

5300 feels like it would be in kind of a gray zone. Now you're talking about 1.5-2 lb of CYA, and it becomes more worthwhile to do it separately. As in, one bucket of CYA is enough for about two seasons. That's where a cost comparison would probably make the difference.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Adding CYA & Chlorine to Intex Pool

oh.....i see...i did use about 2 lbs of CYA in my pool this year and its worked wonders......

7. Back To Top    #7

i really wish i could get a better test kit though.....cant convince my better half that we need it.....oh well.
    Order it. It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Dave
    Intex Easy Set 18' x 42" AG
    5400 gal
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 635 pump, 1500 gph
    Type "A" cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DDave
    i really wish i could get a better test kit though.....cant convince my better half that we need it.....oh well.

Dave
    i really should...LOL

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DDave

Dave
    Thats my philosophy, except I have learned to just do it, then apologize later. If I ask and she says no and I do it, then there is no forgiveness to be given by my wife....
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.