Main drain question.

Jun 16, 2009
I been working on my pool for that past few day now and uncovered the "main drain" cap, but I don't think it's a drain at all. The pool man in the past never used the "main drain" they always used a pump. Now it just looked like concrete that was closing tightly into a small hole. All there is on top is the top cover and ring thats it. nothing inside. I don't even know if there is a drain in my pool. But when my dogs hair hits the pool it flows to the main drain. I'm lost here..... Shold I cap it completely off of what. Here's a picture on it.

Attachments

• PIC-0010.jpg
    PIC-0010.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 268
  • PIC-0009.jpg
    PIC-0009.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 268
That's a main drain, or was. There isn't a pipe along the side of that hole anywhere? Perhaps it was filled in before because of a leak.

If you do manage to find a pipe in there and get it working, it would be a good idea to change your main drain cover to one of the VGB compliant ones. The one you've got is a particularly notorious offender.

If the suction port is plugged I'd recommend either using the existing grate or at least something that will allow a little water through. Odds are there's at least a functioning hydrostatic valve down there and it would be best not to block that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.