Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long is the acid pump supposed to run per hour?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long is the acid pump supposed to run per hour?

I installed a Stenner acid pump with a Sense & Dispense system from Goldline. There is a 2 hour timeout feature that will stop the acid pump from dispensing acid if the target pH is not met. When there is a call for acid, the acid pump will only run for about 8 seconds and then shuts off and will then cycle back on about 30 seconds later and then repeat this cycle. Is this the way this system is supposed to work? I thought the controller was supposed to run the acid pump continuously until the acid demand was met and then shut off and not cycle on/off.
    SW FL, 19K IG with spillover & cage, Goldline Pro-Logic PS-8, Hayward Sense & Dispense, Hayward Swim Clear 4025, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Stenner MA pump, Aquabot, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Palin Pooltest 9, Helicol Solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long is the acid pump supposed to run per hour?

That behavior sounds normal to me. They are trying to get the acid more spread across the entire volume of the pool. You would only want to run the pump continuously when making large PH changes, which that system can't actually do. It is designed to maintain PH, so it assumes that the current PH is almost right to begin with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You would only want to run the pump continuously when making large PH changes, which that system can't actually do.
    You can do a continuous 15 minute acid run time for making acid changes.
    SW FL, 19K IG with spillover & cage, Goldline Pro-Logic PS-8, Hayward Sense & Dispense, Hayward Swim Clear 4025, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Stenner MA pump, Aquabot, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Palin Pooltest 9, Helicol Solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like it is running in a time based proportional mode. As Jason said, that's probably what you want for maintenance.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.