Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will salt corrode my screws?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will salt corrode my screws?

Hi,
    I posted earlier re: My IGP(Salt water generator) I have rusty screws around one skimmer plate(not both) and around the light. I was told the screws will be like that due to the salt;I argued that not all of the screws were rusty and they(the pool Co.) said they are not rusty they are corroded What is the difference? They are red,rusty colored and unacceptable to look at. I said they need to be better quality stainless steel. Their response "they will just corrode again"
    Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a beautiful swimming pool with a SWG to "LIVE WITH"rusty screws
    Any Thoughts?

FC-5.0
    TC-5.0
    CC-0
    PH-7.8
    TA-80
    CYA-70
    Susi

30X14 IG,Vinyl,13,800 Gal
    Hayward-Pro Series Sand filter(Rated flow75GPM/284LPM)
    SWG-Aqua Comfort,Polaris360 Auto Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will salt corrode my screws?

Replace them before they get to the point that you can't.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

The company that made that skimmer used inferior quality screws. If they used the correct grade of stainless steel, as the other skimmer did, you wouldn't be having that problem.

Your pool company is half right. Low quality screws corrode because of the salt in the pool. Actually they would corrode even without the salt, but it would take much longer. But they are wrong about replacing them. If they replace them with the correct screws they will last the life of the pool even with salt in the water. Of course if they replace them with inferior screws they will corrode again, so in one sense they weren't quite lying.

Make them replace the screws with the correct grade of stainless steel screws, so they don't corrode, if you possibly can. No pool equipment in the US should be made with lower grade metals any more these days. Doing so is just trying to save a buck by cheating the customer. If you can't get them to replace the screws you will need to do it yourself.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My light has just been put back in after being out of the pool since last season. Why? The one screw that holds the light in disintegrated, and we do not have a SWG.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain, Pool Solutions PS232 test kit - Columbia, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the support
    Susi

30X14 IG,Vinyl,13,800 Gal
    Hayward-Pro Series Sand filter(Rated flow75GPM/284LPM)
    SWG-Aqua Comfort,Polaris360 Auto Vac