getting some algae

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
I'm using a swg and my cya is around 50-60. tested yesterday using the trouble free test kit. I was told by the manufacturer that its best to let the swg run at night and then burn off the built up chlorine during the day. I tested last night around 6pm and the chlorine level was around 1ppm. Is this too low? Do I need to aim for it to be higher than that? swg is running from like 10pm to 8am now. I've noticed algae starting to grow so I'm guessing I need to up the chlorinator time. should I raise the cya more? I am leary of going too high because then when there are problems, it takes lots and lots of chlorine to kill it.

Its also been very hot here the past week, around 95-100 for the past week in florida.

JasonLion said:
With a SWG, it seems to work best to keep CYA around 70 to 80 and FC at 3 or higher.

okay, so I can pump up the cya by 10 or so, and then move it up more, i left the swg running longer last night and set it to run 13 hours instead of 10, I'll try to check it tonight and see what level its at.

I think it's a good idea to have some of the pump run time during the day. Otherwise you can get FC dead spots in the pool, when there is no circulation going on. Can you run the pump with the SWG off?

If you have visible algae, I'd get to shocking the pool now before you raise your CYA level, as it will require less chlorine at the lower CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.