Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 25% Hypochlorite

1. Back To Top    #1

25% Hypochlorite

Even though I was weakening because of the thought of having to haul gallons of bleach from Wally World everytime we went to town, I scored big time. Happened to see a business supply place in town today. Went in and asked if they sold bulk bleach. They said how many zillion gallons you want?

Bottom line is got 15 gal of 25% Hypochlorite Solution in a DOT approved carrier for $2.49 per gallon . Now this will be an easy way to keep up with it (except when we go out of town and I may have to go with pucks then.

I then went to the pool store and didn't buy anything but hoses and DE. And, the green MAY be turning to blue.
    Cedar Island NC (Southern Outer Banks)
    Splash Super Pool (40x20)
    29,000 gal; AG; Sand Filter; 1.5HP pump. Use the cosmic Taylor Test Kit
    New Aquarite SWG w/T-15 cell; New Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 25% Hypochlorite

Quote Originally Posted by belgique
    . Happened to see a business supply place in town today.
    I.
    Could you elaborate please???
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

It's called Coastal Carolina Supply. Web site is http://planetcoastal.com/index.htm. Seeing the site, they have more chems than I realized...I saw toilet paper and cleaning supplies in their warehouse. They are local but maybe there's something similar.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have never seen 25% sodium hypochlorite offered for sale in any quantity. The highest concentration you ever normally see is 18%. If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I have never seen 25% sodium hypochlorite offered for sale in any quantity. The highest concentration you ever normally see is 18%. If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.
    I don't pretend to understand how this could be and have trouble understanding why they would sell a product that exceeds it's shelf life before I could get it home or how they could get it from the plant. But I failed High School chemistry. I'm still happy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.
    I think it's not quite that extreme; chem geek once referenced this chart which only goes up to 20%, but even so it says 20% at 90F has a half-life of about 3 weeks. At 80F or less I'd guess 25% would have a half-life of around a month.

It wouldn't be worth 25% for that long of course, maybe a week if you're lucky. But still pretty potent.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

If the product is truly 25%, I'd cut it down in concentration by dilution with clean (no metals) when I got home, at least in half, so that it would last longer -- unless I actually used it up rather quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

At the rate I'm going trying to clear this pool, I'll use it quick!

Question: when I asked if they had bleach/chlorine, they said liquid or granular? Would the granular have a longer shelf life? I remember something about this in one of the threads that I can't find.

9. Back To Top    #9

Granular chlorine will contain either CYA or CH, depending on what kind they are selling. That can cause problems, raising your CYA or CH level too high. The granular products do have a longer shelf life, but their other disadvantages are more significant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

It's not 25%. I know Coastal and their supplier. It is either 12.5% or 10%. BTW, they are a very good company...I'm sure they didn't represent it as 25% intentionally. Probably an ill-informed employee or a misunderstanding.

The label should confirm this.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.