Cloudy wahter and a bit of green sand (bottom)

BIC

Jul 7, 2007
Hey,

Yesterday my wather was like this:
FC: 2 or 3
PH: 7.4
Stab: 75-80
ALK: 90
Calcium: 170
Its a pool with SWG.

My problem was:
1) My wather was cloudy. I can perfectly see the bottom (from top), but cannot see the other side of the pool from one side to the other (under wather). I have a 24 feet pool.

2) I have a lot of sand deposites on the bottom, when I shake the sand, it turns green for fes seconds. I do not see any algeas in the wather.

What I did:
I skocked the pool yesterday night (5L of bleach to shock) and kept the pump working all night and all day today (so far).
At 8h00am this morning my FC was 13
At 2h00pm my FC was 10

Questions:
- Did I do the right thing (schock the pool)?

- I think my cloudy wather has nothing to do with my little geen sand spots (pool bottom), it is maybe du to not enogh filtering (10 hours a day since the beginning of the season, I should filter). Am I right?

- When can I swim again? Do I have to wait until FC is back to 4 or is it ok when it's higher?

BIC

With CYA around 80 and a SWG, you want your FC level to be at least 4, certainly not as low as 2.

You didn't really shock the pool, you just raised the FC level for a while. Given that you only just barely had algae that might be enough, but to really shock you need to raise FC to 21 and hold it there until you don't have any FC loss overnight.

Any sand on the bottom should be vacuumed up. Debris on the bottom provides a place where algae can get started.

It is alright to swim any time the FC level is below shock level.

Thanks guys for the info :-D

My FC is back to normal (FC = 4), we got in the pool today :mrgreen:

The thing is : my wather is still fuzzy/cloudy. Is it because I need to filter 7/24 for few days or could it be something else?

BIC

Cloudiness is either dead algae or living algae. Since you never really shocked the pool it is probably living algae, though I suppose it might just be dead algae. You really ought to actually shock the pool.

You need to keep your FC level up to shock level and hold it there until:

You lose 1ppm or less of FC overnight;
Your CC is .5 or less;
Your water is clear.

If you don't meet those three criteria, keep shocking. Shocking once without confirming the algae is dead isn't going to help. :wink:

Thanks for the info guys.

As a note: I had FC = 10 early this morning and tonight it was 8. My SWG was off the whole day (I wanted to see how much I would loose during the day). If I had algea, my FC would have gone down a lot more during the day, right?

BIC

Good news :mrgreen:

My wather is now crystal clear and I don't have any green little cloud when I shake the little sand spots on the bottom of the pool.

Thanks for the help again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.