TA and a SWG

May 12, 2009
What is the reason that you should keep your TA between 60-80 ppm with a SWG.....Is it that a SWG tends to raise the TA, and the other way of using Trichlor and pucks tend to lower TA......Just trying to figure out why a pool store told me I was crazy to want my TA at 80????He said it should be at 125 minimum!!

Someone else will come along and give you a better answer. But..back of the napkin is that a SWG will not raise TA, but raise the pH. Out gassing CO2, making a bit of NaOH as by product of the reaction, contribute to the pH rise. Also depends on how much time the SWG is on.
By keeping the TA a bit lower, the pH rise will not be as dramatic. The tendency of water is down ward pressure on pH anyway, i think. So..by keeping the TA lower, or, lower buffer capacity, it buffers the water to a settle at a lower pH than it would if the TA was kept at 120 ppm.

Chemgeek has a better explaination on here somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.