Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA and a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

TA and a SWG

What is the reason that you should keep your TA between 60-80 ppm with a SWG.....Is it that a SWG tends to raise the TA, and the other way of using Trichlor and pucks tend to lower TA......Just trying to figure out why a pool store told me I was crazy to want my TA at 80????He said it should be at 125 minimum!!
    17,200 in ground Vinyl pool......
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA and a SWG

Someone else will come along and give you a better answer. But..back of the napkin is that a SWG will not raise TA, but raise the pH. Out gassing CO2, making a bit of NaOH as by product of the reaction, contribute to the pH rise. Also depends on how much time the SWG is on.
    By keeping the TA a bit lower, the pH rise will not be as dramatic. The tendency of water is down ward pressure on pH anyway, i think. keeping the TA lower, or, lower buffer capacity, it buffers the water to a settle at a lower pH than it would if the TA was kept at 120 ppm.

Chemgeek has a better explaination on here somewhere.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Higher TA levels combined with aeration will raise the PH. A SWG provides aeration. By keeping the TA level fairly low, 60-80, you minimize the rate of PH increase.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here ya go
    Once again I got the explanation

IF you don't mind chemistry here's a little tidbit on what TA really is and how it affect a pool