What should I look for in a solar cover?

Jun 11, 2009
Hi Everyone:

Having a 27' round pool installed as I type. We are getting one solar panel that is 14x 20 to help with the temp a little. We will probably add more next year. I do need to get a solar cover, however, and want to get a good one. I've seen different ones from 8 mil to 15 mil.

I'm assuming 15 mil is better? Do I get a clear one, blue one, diamond shaped, aluminum color, etc..

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

HI.

I have had 3 covers, this is my 8th season.

The first one (included in pool package) was very heavy, a "spaceage" blanket or something. Blue on top, silver on the bubble side. IT worked very well, but became too waterlogged and heavy for me to get off the pool by myself. Replaced it after season 5. Bought the cheapy light blue 6 mil. Worked fine, but had to manage ways to keep it in place on windy days. Deteriorated quicker than the first, and lasted 2 summers. I replaced it earlier this month, as it was waterlogged and because of the thinness, tore easily when I tried to remove it.

I just got a lightweight, but darkblue/black cover. Was about $10-20 more than the light blue. Boy does that cut down on FC loss! I put it on the first week of june and left in place - 2 days, no swimming, and lost NO FC! I was very surprised. The next day I left on vacation for 10 days, I had shocked to 16. I came home to a FC of 8.... so it really, really cuts down on uv loss when the pool is not in use. :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
HI.

I have had 3 covers, this is my 8th season.

The first one (included in pool package) was very heavy, a "spaceage" blanket or something. Blue on top, silver on the bubble side. IT worked very well, but became too waterlogged and heavy for me to get off the pool by myself. Replaced it after season 5. Bought the cheapy light blue 6 mil. Worked fine, but had to manage ways to keep it in place on windy days. Deteriorated quicker than the first, and lasted 2 summers. I replaced it earlier this month, as it was waterlogged and because of the thinness, tore easily when I tried to remove it.

I just got a lightweight, but darkblue/black cover. Was about $10-20 more than the light blue. Boy does that cut down on FC loss! I put it on the first week of june and left in place - 2 days, no swimming, and lost NO FC!

Hi, would you mind posting a link to the one you have now?? I'm thinking I would like to get one for times when we are gone also to help with chlorine loss. Do you put anything on top of yours to keep it on, run your pump normally while your gone? Also if it rains does the water accumulate on top and cause it to sink in??

I use empty bleach jugs filled with pool water, and I set them on the top of the cover (I used three.) I run my pump on low 24/7 so it was on while I was gone. It doesn't sink, but rainwater does settle where the jugs are. The water on top can get a little scummy after a couple of days, but nothing major. I cleaned the cover off with the pole-brush and pool water before I removed it, let the filter catch the scum.... all is good.

Here's the cover I bought:
http://www.americansale.com/Products/2)-Above-Ground-Pool-Deluxe-Solar-Cover-BlueBlack__637459.aspx

frustratedpoolmom said:
I use empty bleach jugs filled with pool water, and I set them on the top of the cover (I used three.) I run my pump on low 24/7 so it was on while I was gone. It doesn't sink, but rainwater does settle where the jugs are. The water on top can get a little scummy after a couple of days, but nothing major. I cleaned the cover off with the pole-brush and pool water before I removed it, let the filter catch the scum.... all is good.

Here's the cover I bought:
http://www.americansale.com/Products/2)-Above-Ground-Pool-Deluxe-Solar-Cover-BlueBlack__637459.aspx

When you cut your cover does it fit right up against the wall or does it go up the wall an inch or so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.