Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: how to repair flexible hose?

how to repair flexible hose?

This may be a simple task but I haven't disconnected it yet to take a closer look.

There is a flexible hose (looks like some vacuum hoses, with 'ribs' on it) from the skimmer to the pump. It's leaking where the large rubber connector is clamped onto the skimmer.

Is the end of those hoses molded or is it fixable?

I know a pic would be desireable. If my description is too confusing I'll try and get one up today.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

Re: how to repair flexible hose?

IF the hose has a hole or crack, you should just replace it. If it is leaking where the plumbing meets, you can try teflon tape around the male end of the connection, and try reattaching it, usually the teflon tape seals the connection better. (I'm assuming here you don't have teflon tape on the joint already.)

Yes, pics are always helpful. We're trying to envision what you describe but I could be way off!
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Maybe this link will help, if not I'll get a pic of my actual hose later this evening:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... and-Clamp/

If you look in that pic, the black hose is similar to mine. It's leaking right where the connector connects to the hose itself, not where it's clamped to the skimmer.

I thought I saw some info somewhere that you can shorten those hoses and that the 'ends' can be pushed back over the hose where you cut it to shorten it.
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

If it is where the connector connects to the hose, you need a new one.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

I have successfully used PVC cement to repair ribbed flex hose if the break isn't too large.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand, Kreepy
    Helpful Links: TF Test Kits; Pool School; Chlorine/CYA Chart; The Pool Calculator
    Wooooo Pig Sooooieee ... Razorbacks

Yes it's where the connector meets the hose.

I'll just get a new one as I need a shorter one anyway. This one is about 3 ft too long and laying on the ground.